Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just noticed some extras on Documents Online...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just noticed some extras on Documents Online...

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Welcome

I was just comparing the list with what was there in mid-October. The changes are:
    • WW1 Campaign Medals - 120 more
    • Famous Wills - 1 less
    • Registers of Seamen's Services - 473 more
    • Recommendations for Honours and Awards (Army) - 842 more
    • Domesday Book - 1 more
    • Combat Reports, Second World War - 33693 (a recent addition remarked on already)
    • Seamen's Wills - 19647 (I haven't seen this one before)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Thanks Christine.

I wonder what little gem i'll discover from another one of your excellent updates?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for your encouragement, Glen!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ooh, Thankyou Christine......

I am off to have a look :D

Jacky xx :D
        Jacky

Comment

Googling around comes up with this info:

ADM 48 Navy Board, Navy Pay Office, and Admiralty, Accountant General's Department: Seamen's Wills, 1786-1882.
          These are original wills, deposited in the Navy Pay Office. They were made by ratings, Royal Marine other ranks, and some warrant officers. They are arranged in alphabetical order of the writers' names and by the date of making the will (not of death).
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh now that does look exciting! thanks Christine & Kate
            Lynn

Comment

Oooh, thanks, Christine!

There is a Seamen's Will for a James Purkis, which I might download later. The date is 1791. My earliest James Purkis in Portsea was born in 1761 - I don't know anything about him other than his wife was Catherine and his children's names and that he died and was buried in 1823 aged 62.

I wonder if it is him! His son James Thomas Purkis was a shipwright and then my great-grandfather and my grandfather were Engineers (officers) in the Royal Navy.

I hope if I download the will I can tell one way or the other if it is him.
              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 02-01-08, 08:48.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
              X