No announcement yet.

What do you make of these occupations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you make of these occupations?

1841 census:
    HO107; Piece 502; Book 18; District 30; Folio 6; Page 6:

Caleb Ashworth & Richard Ashworth.
    Bottom of 2nd column.

Richard looks like Cotton Pricer or Ricer, but I wouldn't have thought a 17yr & a 15yr would be able to price cotton?!

Caleb looks like Ferry Shop - is this something in the cotton trade.

Looked up Ricer & Ferry in old occupations and can't find anything.
    Mavis
    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Richard and James are probably cotton piercers, though that isn't what it actually seems to say!

Comment

Cotton piecers are the lucky folk that mend any broken threads during the spinning or weaving process. Fingers were at risk, and many mill workers suffered lung problems from the cotton fibres in the air.

Comment

Definitely MEANT to be cotton PIECERS - dead common cotton mill job, but the enumerator has spelled it PEICER, lol.

The other one - a guess here, think it is meant to say "Jenny shop" - a Jenny was a piece of weaving equipment (Spinning Jenny) so he worked in the factory workSHOP on a Jenny.

Or, on the other hand, he may have been the proprietor of a shop which sold Jerries.....

OC

Comment

Merry, did you mean piecer, which it could be if mis spelt peicer!
          Mavis

Comment

OC - I think Jenny more likely than Jerry (LOL)! Reckon it is work in cotton mills, he's a Rover (Loaded cotton yarn onto bobbins, giving the yarn a twist, (Roving) after the Carding and Combing processes.) on James' marriage and a cotton spinner in 1851 (at 72yrs!!).
            Mavis

Comment

Originally posted by Mavis by the Moor View Post
              Merry, did you mean piecer, which it could be if mis spelt peicer!

Sorry, I meant to type piecer, though my book also has it spelled piecener too!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. Think I'll stick to piecer, Merry, can't take too many complications lol!
                Mavis

Comment

Working...
                X