1861 Census image help, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Census image help, please.

Could someone very kindly look at the following image, and give alternative suggestions for the surname, transcribed as IASOD. (I don't seem to be able to find this in any other census)

I am really interested in 2 yr old Walter Philpot, visitor. If he is the right one, his father Walter is a Mariner, so the children could have been left with relatives. etc.

RG 9/680 F 130; Page: 22 [Hound, Hampshire]

Many thanks,
    Carol

Hi Carol - probably not much help, but it looks like Sasod to me-
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Or Jason/ Jasod???

Comment

The last letter is probably an "n". The reason it looks like a "d" is that the down-loop of the "g" above is part-faded, and seems to be part of your target surname instead of "Gosling" above.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a marriage for a William JASON in East Stonehouse in 1776. That suggests that the name is within reach of that area as a surname.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

INSON is another possibility.

Christine

Comment

Joan, Trish and Christine,

Thank you very much for looking. I am trying the combinations you've suggested, including with Maria's name and details, but no luck yet.

Will keep looking.

Many thanks, and a very Happy New Year to you all.

Carol

Comment

I've had a look on my 3-Towns-Deanery CD, and can't see a marriage for a Joseph JASON/IASON/INSON prior to 1837 in the Devonport CofE churches. That's not to say there wasn't one somewhere else.

Chrisitne

Comment

It doesn't seem to appear in the 1837+ CDs for Plymouth and W Devon either - but, even tho' they cover non-com religious venues, they don't include Register Office marriages.

Christine

Comment

Christine,

Thank you for taking so much trouble in looking through your CDs.

Have still not found a credible other census for them. Think I may have to try another tack to pin down young Walter.

Your willingness to help very much appreciated.

All good wishes,
                    Carol

Comment

I've had a look at the INSON/IASON/JASON names in 1851, 1841 and 1871, but - as you say - there's no obvious trace of your couple, even though they should be easy to spot.

I'll have to leave you to it, I'm afraid.

Christine

Comment

I've been looking the BMD (FreeBMD transcriptions) on Ancestry, and the only possible I found, for Joseph or Maria, was:
                        Mary IASON d 1891q2 Newmarket 3b-395 aged 81
                        which is also entered as JASON.

Christine

Comment

Christine,

Many thanks for "going the extra mile" for me.

Have found that Mary Iason on the 1891 census, living in Ashley just down the road from Newmarket. Also living in the village are her son and DIL Isaac and Maria Jason.

Seems she and her son both born Suffolk, so sadly I think probably not the right one.

Sincere thanks again,
                          Carol

Comment

Working...
                          X