X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know Bath, Somerset?

I am driving myself crazy! lol

My gg-grandparents were married in Bath in 1849. The marriage cert says:

Marriage solemnised at the Parish Church in the Parish of Trinity Bath in the County of Somerset according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church of England.

All I'm trying to do is sort out:

1) exactly where this church was/is.

2) Find a photo or drawing of it.

I have found quite a lot by googling, but an confused about different addresses ....."Queen's Square" or "Coombe Down"? Or somewhere else??

Some websites suggests the church I am reading about (no address or photo, so I don't know which one I'm reading about) is Roman Catholic......

I don't want to get this wrong!

Can anyone help??

Pretty Please.......

Merry...............Holy Trinity is at Combe Down Bath. It's C of E.

Comment

So is the Queen's Square one RC?

Comment

I've found a nice pic of the Coombe Down one

Thank you Libby!

Comment

It would have to be in the City of Bath itself.

Coombe Down would have been a separate village back then. It's on the outskirts of Bath now. Like all villages to-day...they get swallowed up by the City.

My husband says that 'Walcot' in Bath used to be Trinity area back in the 50's. Don't know about now though. Trinity is just a block away from Queens Square.

What was their addresses on the marriage certificate...that might help to pin down the location.
          teresa

Comment

Hi Teresa...I suspected there might be a spanner coming into the works! lol

Good idea about their addresses.....

His: 16 Kingsmead St

Hers: 18 James St

Comment

I have just looked at Genuki and that says that the parish of "Bath Holy trinity" was formed out of the Parish of Walcot in 1839. So the church is not going to be a really old one......PR's go back to 1940.

Does that make it Queen's Square?

Comment

Merry

Is this any good, or does it just muddy the waters:

Holy Trinity
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Both James St and Kingsmead are just a hop away from Queens Sq.

You can take a tour of Queen Square here BBC - Somerset - In Pictures - Queen Square in Bath
                  Last edited by Nana Anna; 31-12-07, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Merry

Is this any good, or does it just muddy the waters:

Holy Trinity
                    At first I thought it muddied the waters, but on reading further, that is def the one! So it was built in 1822.

Comment

Originally posted by Nana Anna View Post
                      Both James St and Kingsmead are just a hop away from Queens Sq.

You can take a tour of Queen Square here BBC - Somerset - In Pictures - Queen Square in Bath

Thanks for that Anna. I think the church is not quite on the square, which may be why my googling wasn't working.

Nell's link says it was st Lower James St, next to Queen's Square....(I think...going back to read that again!)

Comment

Hmmm...well it's not as beautiful as the one at Coombe Down, but it was built to cater for the poor of the area, so that's a good thing........

Thanks for your help everyone......I now have a photo!

lol

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to your earlier...but I see you have found it now. Kingsmead St &
                          James St are just a hop away from Walcot St and Queens Square.

Hope you get to vist Bath someday. Beautiful city...but crawling with tourists in the summer! Parking is a nighmare, but there is a huge Car Park just off Queens Square itself.

If you ever get to visit Bath, Queens Square is now part of the A4 route through Bath.
                          teresa

Comment

Thanks for that teresa.....I'm sure I will get there one day!!

Comment

Glad to have helped!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                              X