Hollingtons on 1861 Cesus-Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollingtons on 1861 Cesus-Help please

I have found my Hollingtons on the 1871 & 1881 census,, but cannot find them before that. Neither can I find a marriage for Elizabeth & Joseph.
    This is what I have for them;

1881 Census:
    RG11; Piece: 434; Folio: 7; Page: 7
    48 Quaker Street, Spitalfields
    Elizabeth Hollington, Head, W, 48, Mangler, Middlesex Spitalfields
    Joseph Do, Son, Unm, 22, Paper Sorter, Middlesex Spitalfields
    Elizabeth Do, Daur, 23, Box Maker, Middlesex Spitalfields
    James Do, Son, 18, Porter, Middlesex Spitalfields
    Emma Do, Daur, 14, Cigar Maker, Middlesex Spitalfields
    Charles Do, Son, 9, Middlesex Spitalfields

1871 Census:
    RG10; Piece: 505; Folio: 60; Page: 36
    Wilkes Street, Christchurch Spitalfields
    Joseph Hollington, Head, M, 49, Porter, Middx
    Elizabeth Hollington, Wife, M, 34, Tailoress, Middx
    Elizabeth Hollington, daur, 14, Box Maker, Middx
    Joseph Hollington, son, 12, Printers Boy, Middx
    James Hollington, son, 8, scholar, Middx
    Emma Hollington, daur, 4, scholar, Middx

Elizabeth Hollington b. c1858 married George Butterworth Liddell at St Peter's Stepney on 25 Dec 1882. I have the cert & I have them in the 1891 & 1901 Censii.

Can anyone please find anymore info for me and help me get further back on this line.

As well I do not have a birth in Whitechapel/spitalfields for Elizabeth b. c1858. The nearest I have found is in Shoreditch....is that too far out or worth buying?

Blessings & a Happy & Safe New Year to you all.
    Last edited by Lyn A; 31-12-07, 10:33.

Is this one relevant
    RG9; Piece: 262; Folio: 83; Page: 22;

- just rechecked - I think it is a different family!
    Elaine

Comment

No, they are a different lot! Really frustrating! Some of the family have crossed them over & I know that they are not ours....Mother is too old, brother Joseph is way to old & that Elizabeth daughter married Joseph Biggs.

Comment

Sorry...meant to say Thanks, Elaine. How rude of me!! So Thank you for looking.

Comment

Have you thought about getting the birth certificate of one of the children - in order to find mother's maiden name?
          Elaine

Comment

Yes, but if I get one, I would prefer it to be Elizabeth's but am not sure which one it is.....I get really confused with those areas of London.

I have such a long list of certs I want to buy and so little money! LOL!!

Comment

I know the feeling!
              Elaine

Comment

I am not having much luck Lyn. You may just have to resort to getting one of the other birth certificates which may be easier to identify. Start saving!
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine....I really appreciate you taking time to look. I am glad that it is not just me that can't find them. I am wondering if they have just taken on the name Hollington for some reason...wouldn't put it past my lot!
                  Thanks again.

Comment

It could be the same family if one or other of a couple of factors had come into play...

If the older children had died, they might have reused the names in memoriam.

If the Elizabeth, wife, in 1861 is not the same as Elizabeth, wife, in 1871 or 1881. (I have had this in OH's tree, but we were fortunate to have the husband as widower in an intervening census).

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And there's this marriage on the IGI:

JOSEPH HOLLINGTON m ELIZABETH PERKINS
                      09 OCT 1836 Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London
                      refs: M055765 1835 - 1838 0801582 Film 6901979

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lyn I can't find any either. Tried just Joseph with a couple of years and he didn't pop up.

Comment

No Chrissie, there are actually 2 families.....the one in 1861 with Joseph as a silk weaver is not ours. I am in contact with that family and they have certs to prove it is not. Their Joseph Jnr, who is 22 years oder than ours, married & had a large family & lived to a ripe old age. Their Joseph Snr was still alive in 1881 & ours wasn't. They were from Bethnal green not Spitalfields and also appear on the 1881 & 1871 censii.

Comment

Thanks Libby...I am sure that they just dropped out of the sky!

Comment

As an example of the wife-changing scenario, theses two could be fitted together (but may have nothing to do with each other, of course!)...

Elizabeth Hollington d 1877q1 age 60 Bethnal Green 1c-198

Joseph Hollington m Eliza Eden Kitchener 1879q2 Kensington 1a-98

Comment

My last posting was before your detailed explanation.

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  And there's this marriage on the IGI:

JOSEPH HOLLINGTON m ELIZABETH PERKINS
                                  09 OCT 1836 Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London
                                  refs: M055765 1835 - 1838 0801582 Film 6901979

Christine

Sorry, Christine...I missed that post. This is the marriage for the other Hollingtons...Sad to say!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                    As an example of the wife-changing scenario, theses two could be fitted together (but may have nothing to do with each other, of course!)...

Elizabeth Hollington d 1877q1 age 60 Bethnal Green 1c-198

Joseph Hollington m Eliza Eden Kitchener 1879q2 Kensington 1a-98

Now I am getting confused again!! Hang on, it is a while since I look at the census for the other Hollingtons...
                                    But I think that the marriage is their son & the death could be the Bethnal Green Elizabeth Snr.

Comment

No haven't kept a copy of those other Hollingtons in 1881, but my Joseph Snr was dead by then and Elizabeth Snr was alive as a widow. My Joseph Jnr was Unmarried & living at home with his mother. So neither appear to be mine.
                                      Can't find the other lot on 1881...but I know I saw it at some stage.

Comment

Just found Joseph & Eliza on 1881...he is 34 and a carpenter...mine is 22 and a paper sorter in 1881, so that marriage fits the Joseph Jnr from the other lot.

Comment

Working...
                                        X