Do I keep the .jpg once I've cropped etc and new pic is .Spp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I keep the .jpg once I've cropped etc and new pic is .Spp

Could anyone advise? I have saved various census records etc in Docs and used my Picture Plus programme to crop them. The cropped image is saved with .Spp replacing .jpg at end of title.

I deleted all the .jpg original ones but a friend said I perhaps shouldn't get rid of them. He didn't know what .Spp meant.

It would save space on my pooter and USB stick if I got rid of the .jpg ones. They are all sitting in my recycle bin...do I delete for good. There are lots of them...

Would .Spp be compatible with other folk's computers if I had to send one to them? Not urgent. Will pop back tomorrow. Liz
    Liz

.spp files seem to be associated to PhotoPlus software. I have no experience of them and can find little on the internet about them.

Can you open one of these files in Paint? If so, you should be able to resave them as .jpg. That way you can be sure that others can view them if you want them to.
    If you can't open them in Paint, I would be worried that others may not be able to open them.

Someone else may have a better answer for you.

Comment

I just found a thread that says if you use "Export" rather than "Save", you get the choice of .jpg.

Comment

Thanks Lyn. Oh dear, I must have over a hundred of the little *** beggars to redo! Liz
        Liz

Comment

What a pain!!
          I use Picasa to crop mine....I don't have a camera, so don't have PhotoPlus. Picasa is a free download & I find it really good.

Just for interest sake, could you let me know what works for you. Ta.

Comment

.jpg is the standard format that most PC's can open. Doesn't the program you use give you the option to change the file extension when you save it? Most programs allow this.

Some programs allow you to do a "batch conversion" so you can change the lot in one go, but it is a bit technical if you don't know what you are doing! I leave that to my son!
            Last edited by WendyPusey; 31-12-07, 11:30. Reason: added
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy and Lyn. I saved the census etc from Ancestry on to my pooter. Then used Photo Plus to crop them. When cropped used 'Save As' - will have to work out how to do this. My pal who helps me with the pooter will be coming in the New Year so I might leave it till then if it gets too technical.

Will give feedback once done. Liz
              Liz

Comment

Just giving feedback - thanks for advice: I am converting each .Spp into .jpg by using export and it's working. Not attempted batch. Liz
                Liz

Comment

Thanks Liz! Have fun!

Comment

Hi Liz a bit late
                    I'm a Web Designer and use Photoshop and Fireworks.
                    When cropping and resizing pictures because of space on the server I export to the web file and when aked to make a change to the origanal picture I say no as I may need to use it again so I say always save the origanal if space is limited write to CD when you have enough to fill the disc.
                    Jeff

Comment

Many thanks. Liz
                      Liz

Comment

Working...
                      X