OC, are you still awake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC, are you still awake?

Further to my earlier comments about houses in the family for years, what about this then? Do you think they could be connected :D

George Graby Chambers Abode St Mary le W,Newland St West Buried 02/04/1897 Age 4m

Name Walter Graby Chambers Abode St Faith, Newland St West Buried 23/09/1920 Age 14

1932 Father of the above names;
    Name George Henry Chambers Abode St Faith,Newland St West Buried 11/02/1932 Age 63

1913 Uncle to the above name;
    Name Joseph Chambers Abode Newland St West,St Faith Buried 17/04/1913 Age 74 Cemetery Lincoln

George Chambers Abode 106 Newland St West St Faith Buried 30/04/1917 Age 5d Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Road

Frederick Chambers Abode 106 Newland St West St Faith Buried 30/04/1917 Age 5d Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Road

Edward Charles Chambers, 106 Newland St West, informant at death of Frederick Chambers (he of Gresham Street and the earlier thread).
    Edward C remained at the house until the war then moved to another street that is mentioned on several certs.

Wonder who was at Newland St West after 1939-40?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Glen

Well, if they aren't connected, I will eat my computer. Raw.

OC

Comment

It just shows what happens when you sort out the info properly, until i recorded everything in the proper place on FTM i hadn't twigged there were so many.

I can do a similiar thing for another street from the late 1880's through to 1956 across three connected surnames and another street for 61 years for one surname!

It makes a great job when i want the certs from Lincoln, just quote anyone in the name of Chambers in any year at Newland St West, they just have to be mine :D:D:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

One of these days I'm going to set up a database of addresses.

I recently came across someone living at John St, Manchester. I knew I had someone else in that road, but it took me hours of searching through my tree to find them.

OC

Comment

That's one thing you can do with Excel - especially if you have the newer versions with the search-entire-workbook option, as well as search-comments.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I just got playing with FTM a day or two ago and created a report, i never realised there was an optio n to export the report as spreadsheet, it was by playing around i found the details i posted in the original post.

OK, so i had all the info anyway but never had everything laid out so i could make head or tail of it, sometimes you get so wrapped in what you have for a person you forget what you have for a group or surname.

Slowly i will work through my census returns and log the ones i have and haven't got, i'll bet there are dozens i need even though i have around 400 in my little "collection". If truth be known i would doubt i have a complete set for more than maybe a dozen people in all.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I do struggle a bit with FTM - probably because I am not yet used to it, lol.

But, I have hit a rich and fruitful seam in my research at the moment, and have rellies falling out of everywhere. I am entering them on my Tribal Pages tree, because I am familiar with that and it is very easy to use.

I lost my home made data base on my old computer, and although the little man managed to retrieve some of it, I haven't had the heart to restart it - I had intended to use FTM for this, but it doesn't work for my home made headings!

I don't seem to have Excel on this machine I have now, and anyway, I prefer to work in database mode - I find a spreadsheet confusing if it goes sideways off the page.

The bulk of my information is offline and I find it easy to check if I have all census reports, cos I put them on the back of each individual sheet. But of course, I cannot manipulate the data in the way you can on the computer, so some big effort is required from me in the near future!

OC

Comment

I have reached the point where the volume of names and the information relating to them is getting too much to remember easily. It is "only" 620 or so names but when you get all the events, dates, places, sources and stoke the fire with family legends that you pursue you know the problem.

Having never really devised a system that i can keep on top of easily via pen and paper i am slowly recording things in the "proper" place on FTM. Just a shame it has taken me so long to realise the importance of doing so though.

I tend to go in spurts at one type of record or search technique, currently it is the burials and i too have had lots of success. Next stop the cemetery for pictures (i might organise a bus trip, it will need a team of ten to get round them all :D)

Another reason is that recently i have had a couple of good contacts and with a slapdash storage system then the important stuff gets forgotten.

Guess i have already made my resolution for 2008. Get organised :o

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, I thought I recognised the address Newland Street West so I had a word with my dad. He lived at number 27 for many years with his mum and his uncle John Kelly. Then when he married my mum they had a room 'at the back'. Mum and dad were married in 1949 and dad was born 1922 in St Michael's terrace so it would be any time in between.

Your ancestors may have been my granny's landlords!
                  Rose

Comment

Hi Rose

I have a sneaky suspicion that at some time or other my mum and your dad crossed paths, or failing that he crossed paths with my father born just near High Bridge on the High Street.

They were all born within a year or so of each other and pretty darn close too.

Newsflash

Found someone by the name of Chambers in the next streetthat is NOT one of mine.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

got another little snippet from my dad today. There were three pubs that my dad used to frequent. His usual was the Odd Fellow's Arms where he used to play darts. The other two were the Queen in the West and my Granny's local which was a couple of doors away on the other side from number 27, The Vine where she used to enjoy a bottle (or two lol) of Guinness.

EDIT: just had a google and the Vine and the Queen are both still there. No sigh of the Odd Fellows - hope it's nothing dad did lol.
                      Last edited by Rosie Knees; 01-01-08, 16:36.
                      Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                        got another little snippet from my dad today. There were three pubs that my dad used to frequent. His usual was the Odd Fellow's Arms where he used to play darts. The other two were the Queen in the West and my Granny's local which was a couple of doors away on the other side from number 27, The Vine where she used to enjoy a bottle (or two lol) of Guinness.

EDIT: just had a google and the Vine and the Queen are both still there. No sigh of the Odd Fellows - hope it's nothing dad did lol.
                        LOL.

My grt granny had a stepson who became publican of the Queen of the West, (1910-1920 ish i think). most of the Chambers lot lived at 106 Newland St West and Moor St.

Circa 1900 the landlord at the Queen was a chap by the surname of Sylvester, his daughter married one of my uncles.
                        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 01-01-08, 16:53.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

our ancestors definitely trod the same cobbles!

Just looking at a recent death cert (1894) for a GG GF - Thomas Patchett Clayton, he lived at 4 The Park and his son who was the informant, my G G Uncle Edward Clayton, lived at 21 Carr Street. They are all in spitting distance according to multimap
                          Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                            our ancestors definitely trod the same cobbles!

Just looking at a recent death cert (1894) for a GG GF - Thomas Patchett Clayton, he lived at 4 The Park and his son who was the informant, my G G Uncle Edward Clayton, lived at 21 Carr Street. They are all in spitting distance according to multimap

Moor St, Gresham St, Hewson Rd, Richmond Rd and Newland St West are where my lot reigned for around 60 years or more.

Wonder if your dad recalls this from 1956, my grt granny;

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                            X