Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• familyhistoryonline or find my past

Hi

Ive been looking at the FHO and seems quite good, is it worth paying for subs on there or maybe on find my past? I have Ancestry, so do they provide anything more?

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

You can buy credits on Family History on line - I believe the minimum amount is five pounds and a lot of the records only cost a few pence to view, so the five pounds stretches quite a way! However, they are gradually moving their data over to Findmypast and I believe they estimate it will be completed by the middle of next year. They have stated that any credit remaining on FHOL will be transferred to FMP once all the data has been moved.

I suppose at the end of the day it depends on the data that you are looking for. FMP has a lot of census information, but if you already have an Ancestry sub then that is not so important. FMP also has the National Burial Index - which used to be on FHOL (not sure if it is still there or not).

Check out the databases covered on each site and see which one suits your needs.
    Elaine

Comment

thanks elaine, im hoping to find pre 1837 info and deaths/burials. will have a look at both and see what gives me the best value for what i want. Does it give you actual info, like what would be on a cert, or is it just similar to LDS?
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

You can buy pay-as-you-go credits on findmypast as well, so it's not necessarily an either / or situation - up till now I have always found myself buying credits on both findmypast and FHO as they have different stuff from each other, but in the end findmypast will be taking over nearly everything that is on Family History Online, with a few exceptions.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
          thanks elaine, im hoping to find pre 1837 info and deaths/burials. will have a look at both and see what gives me the best value for what i want. Does it give you actual info, like what would be on a cert, or is it just similar to LDS?
          Robyne, there will be some on both findmypast and FHO but not for the same places, except the NBI which I think is on both now? Or parts of it, anyway. As for the info included, different databases have different amounts - some are basically indexes like the IGI and others are full transcriptions.

Also, don't forget to look at FreeREG first, since it is free (though I see they are having problems at the moment):
          FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices

It is also worth looking to see if there is an Online Parish Clerk for the parish(es) you are interested in, plus look in our Wiki and also google around to see if there are any online indexes / transcriptions available of the parish registers or monumental inscriptions that you are looking for. Sometimes these even come up just by googling the name of the person whose baptism, marriage or burial you want!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

FHO - always check that the place(s) and dates you want are covered before you buy credits. There's a county by county database showing what is included and it does have the NBI.

One gripe I do have is that you can only search by county, so if you want burials it will give you a whole county load - which may or may not include the parish you want.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

FHO now has 16 million burials compared to around 9-10 million on findmypast.com (FMP) though that will increase as burial transcripts are transferred to FMP - I've calculated that FHO includes about a third of the burials between 1813 and 1837 with lower percentages before and after those dates. Most, but not all, family history societies will allow the data to move across to FMP. The point about County-only searches on FHO is well understood but the cost per record is relatively low - however you do have much more flexible name searching on FHO (e.g. wild-card for 1st character) - at least until that service closes down. FMP are now including the essential coverage information for the various counties.

Disclaimer: these are MY opinions and not necessarily those of either the Federation of FHS or findmypast.com

Comment

My lines on my father's side are nearly all from Devon and Cornwall. In my experience, FHOL is an essential for Cornish genealogy, containing fabulous databases compiled by the Cornwall FHS. It's not 100% complete and I still make good use of the Cornwall OPC network and other sources, but I can't imagine that I'd have gotten nearly as far without it. For Devon research, on the other hand, it's proven useless (I think there's some coverage of a very few border parishes). The lesson is that their coverage varies considerably by county.

HTH -

Tim
                "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
                  For Devon research, on the other hand, it's proven useless (I think there's some coverage of a very few border parishes). The lesson is that their coverage varies considerably by county.

HTH -

Tim
                  To be pedantic, our [FHO] coverage varies widely by family history society - the committee of the Devon FHS, like several other societies, have decided not to take part. Also, some societies have particular problems, e.g. those in the London area where many retire outside London. Until recently there were more National Burial Index records for Rutland than Middlesex!

Comment

Working...
                  X