X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot's Guide please.

I have an MP3 Player.

Yes, they have dragged Grampa kicking and struggling into the 21st Century.

How do I put my music into the thing?
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Several ways of doing it.

You can either copy any cd's you already have onto it by way of (say) Windows Media Player

AND/OR

You can choose an on-line supplier (which you can do through Windows Media Player or google music downloads - one favourite is Napster, but there are loads out there) and download from there onto your MP3 player.

Let us know which way you're going and someone will be along to help you out if you get stuck.
    Last edited by Snowdrops in Bloom; 30-12-07, 11:20.

Comment

I have Windows Media Player, but haven't found out how to copy files to the MP3.

Comment

I do know that once you have an MP3 file on your computer, what you do is plug the MP3 player into the USB port, go onto "My Computer" and double-click to open it up - it will show as something like external drive E or whatever - then you make that window go smaller so it doesn't take up the whole screen, and then open the folder that is on your computer with your MP3 files in, in another window, also made smaller so it doesn't take up the whole screen, then you click and drag the MP3 files across from the folder to your "external drive". Just in the same way that you would copy files to a memory stick. That's what we've done to copy some MP3's onto my daughter's new MP3 player that she got for Christmas, anyway, but those were MP3 files that we already had on our computer somehow
        (I used "search" to find any file of MP3 type).

Not tried copying from Windows Media Player or a website yet, so I will be looking back at this thread to find out how to do it!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Doesn't dragging like that move the file rather than copying it?

Comment

well you could highlight it then right click and copy and designate to copy to the mp3 player.

It doesn't matter which method you use, as long as you get there at the end of the day.

Go and have a google grampa and see which site you like best for downloading (presuming you have nothing on cd to copy across already).

One other question - is it an mp3 player or an iPod? if it's an iPod I think you HAVE to use Appletunes (but I could very well be mistaken in this) my daughter has an iPod and I use that site too so there's no problems talking you through that one either.

Comment

You have to use Itunes if you have an iPod, blooming Apple The only Apple thing I own
              is an old Beige G3 and it still works with 10.2 , cos I tricked it into thinking it can support USB

Clare

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
                Doesn't dragging like that move the file rather than copying it?

It copies it on my computer.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, it is definitely an MP3. It appears that I need to get a High Speed USB thingummybob, so it's a trip downtown for me after the New Year.

I have tried copying from CDs to the MP3 via Windows Media Player, but not having any joy, nothing has transferred.

Comment

OK Grampa Jim

A list of step-by-step instructions for ripping music from your cd's to your mp3 player.

If anything doesn't make sense just shout!!

Connect your MP3 player to the computer through your USB port.

When any pop up boxes appear just close them down.

Insert CD into cd/dvd player

A pop up box will display asking what you want to do: select either play cd or rip music from cd

Comment

Using the Rip Music option Windows Media Player will now open and display the following:

and closer

Select either one of the two round buttons TOGETHER WITH the square button and then press OK

Back shortly with more screenshots and instructions - don't go away now!!

Comment

That will now have ripped your music from your cd and onto your computer. You can now play that music through your computer creating a playlist through windows media player from any cd’s you have stored there.

To get the music onto your mp3 player click on the button at the top which says SYNC

Comment

If you cannot see the music you have just ripped (copied) already displayed then (on the left hand side) from LIBRARY select RECENTLY ADDED

Your songs should now pop up.

Comment

In the right hand column it tells you to DRAG ITEMS HERE TO CREATE A LIST TO SYNC

Comment

Once you have selected the ones you want on your mp3 player (remember, left click and drag to move them over) right at the bottom of that right hand column you will see START SYNC - click on it.

It should automatically recognise your MP3 player, if it doesn’t, you need to tell it which player to sync it to – don’t worry, that will pop up in the process and it’s a simple case of selecting your MP3 player .

That's it - done.

NOW REMEMBER - these are instructions for using MY VERSION of Windows Media Player, yours may vary slightly but it will be essentially the same.

Don't panic - if you're unsure of anything, come back and ask.
                              Last edited by Snowdrops in Bloom; 30-12-07, 19:06.

Comment

Der,

What Rip Music Option?

That looks nothing like my Windows Media Player Page.

Mine comes up with a Playlist on the right.

Comment

That''s OK - yours is a different version that's all.

Use mine as a rough guide - the words are still the same.

If you don't get the pop up box when you first inset the cd, just double click on the Windows Media Player and take it from there (ie select the button which says rip and then sync them to your mp3) as above.

Comment

I am glad you started this as I got an ipod and although I send the songs from my music to it and it says synchronizing nothing happens , my husband has an MP3 player and I tried that with the same files, it did download to that okay and it says 4 files but it does not play them
                                    Is it possible I have downloaded the files and not the music anybody ?????????

Comment

Working...
                                    X