Is Joseph the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Joseph the only one?

I have found a possible match on GR for my 2g uncle Joseph Walmsley. The lady has kindly openned her tree but hasn't gone beyond Joseph. Not that I blame her.

I believe that Joseph is illegitimate but that mum marries dad William Hawkins in 1860 or 61. Can't remember off the top of my head. (Wansley on her marriage cert).

On freebmd there is only one Joseph born in 1850 in Newcastle under Lyme Staffs. Could someone please do a quick search on Ancestry to check he is the only one? (It is mistranscribed as Womdsley on the 1851).

In 1861 I believe he is a Hawkins and living with Mum, Dad, Sarah, William and Elizabeth.

I don't have ancestry so I can only check the indexes which don't give enough info.

If anyone has some free time and wants to work out who Joseph married, I'd be very grateful.
    Kit

Kit.....do you want to see if he is the only one born that year in that place?

Sorry, brain a bit fried.

Comment

Found him in 1851.

Can't find him in 1861 under either surname.

I'll check the other years.

Comment

Hi Libby, yes can you check if there are any other Joseph Walmsley's born Newcastle under Lyme in 1850-51. On freebmd he is the only one but want to make sure there are no others.
        Kit

Comment

for the 1861 he is under Hawkins. RG9/1927 Foli 113 page number looks like 29. Although I couldn't see him on the index either. Lucky I saved them when I did have ancestry. lol
          Kit

Comment

OK........... checked 1849, 50 and 51.

The only Joseph Walmsley born Newcastle Lyme is in Q4 1850.

Lucky you didn't want one from Blackburn........six of them!!!

Comment

Thanks Libby. Then assuming her research is correct, her joseph is mine. :D My first contact for this family. :D But I know more than she does. :(
              Kit

Comment

Good on you.

Comment

No Libby I don't want to know more. I want someone who has unravelled this family or at least has some ideas on it. The story is:

Joseph's Mum had rather more children out of wedlock than in. All, except maybe Joseph, I believe belong to her future husband. My 2g grandma doesn't exist between birth and marriage, (although a LostCousins buddy has suggested she may have been loaned out to a childless family and from what she says it sounds a good idea). My 2g grandma's parents have the same name as Joseph's parents and throughout the generations of my 2g grandma her Dad's surname appears as a middle name occassionally just like it was on her wedding cert.

However I'd like someone else to say, yes, we all knew that, what's the problem? It's hard to go back when you aren't confident on what you have and I don't think I can get anymore info.

Here endeth the whinge. lol
                  Kit

Comment

Working...
                  X