Any Thoughts or Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Thoughts or Ideas?

Bear with me,it's complicated.Lady wifes GGGrandmother Elizabeth Stevenson first marries in 1838 Dec Qtr Sunderland 24-54,to Thomas Martin. He dies the following year Sep 1839 Durham &c 24-54.
    In 1841 she weds William Carr 15 aug 1841 at st Helen Auckland.He is not to be found on 1841,but Elizabeth is at west auckland with presumed brother Thomas Stevenson.Marriage cert has both as widow(er) father of William is John a pitman,father of Elizabeth William Stevenson,malster.William Carr is a joiner.
    1851 finds Elizabeth married to Emmanuel Bulmer and living at Sherburn Hill with the family of James Carr and wife Jane.Elizabeth and Manuel are noted as visitors,and the three Carr children Joseph,Andrew and William are variously children or grandchildren of the head james Carr!!
    !861 finds the family at Coxhoe with the addition of small Bulmers.
    Joseph Carr,wifes GGrandfather marries in 1861,we can't find registrations for any of the 3 Carr boys births,so sent for Josephs marriage cert,Whoops,father down as George Dobson,Who's HE!! I've checked parish records for any possible baps and drawn a blank,both in the Sherburn area and Auckland.
    Where to next? Any and all ideas welcome.
    Best Regards Tony

Don't start with 1838 and work forwards, work backwards instead.
    So Joseph Carr's marriage cert names his father as George Dobson? Have you tried looking for George Dobson with right occupation on censuses? Or looked for a Joseph Dobson registration - when and where was Joseph born?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

When did Elizabeth marry Emanuel Bulmer? When did William Carr die, and when was Joseph born?

OC

Comment

There is a George Dobson living in the same village as the Carr family in 1841.

There is also a William *son Carr born Easington Sep Q 1849 - could this read William Dobson Carr??

Re 1851 census
        Most of the children are too young to be children of James and Jane so could they possibly be children of Elizabeth Bulmer before she married.

Could Elizabeth Bulmer be James and Janes daughter and could James junior, Elizabeth Junior, Joseph, Andrew and William all be her children possibly before she married anyone??

Just some ideas!!
        Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

Comment

Hi Elaine and all,

Sorry, its William Wilson Carr reg Easington Sept Q 1849. There was also one reg in Newcastle (William Wilson Carr, that is)

Gosh, darn it, another theory bites the dust.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Good morning folks,thank you all for your input, OC, Elizabeth married Emmanuel Bulmer Mar Qtr 1851 Durham 24-91.Joseph was born c1843,Andrew c1846 and William c1848.All the children are down as born Sherburn on 1851 and succeeding census,but due to lack of birth or baptism records this is all I can go on!
            Little Nell, no sign of reg or Baptism of a Joseph Dobson either.
            I've ordered marriage cert of Elizabeth and Emmanuel,also death cert for a William Carr
            Durham &c 24-66, Sep 1846.This is the only death in the right area,hopefully it's my man,fingers and everything else crossed!!
            Best Regards and a Happy New Year to you all.

Comment

There's a Joseph Carr birth registered Durham registration district (which includes Sherburn) in Dec 1844.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Tony let us know how you get on when your certs arrive. A Happy New Year to you
                Elaine

Comment

Got the marriage cert for Elizabeth and Emmanuel Bulmer this morning.Surprise,surprise!
                  Elizabeth CARR spinster of full age Father James Carr coalminer. So i've been chasing the wrong family these past few years!! Possibly all the 3 Carr children were fathered by George Dobson,and coincidentally there is a Dec qtr 1850 death of a George Dobson in the right area shortly before Elizabeth married Emmanuel.Should have waited till this cert arrived and saved 7 quid!! Anyone want a death cert for William Carr?
                  Elaine looks like you hit the nail on the head,thanks for your input.
                  Best Regards Tony

Comment

Tony

Well, there are very few of us who HAVEN'T chased the wrong family at some point!

When I first started, long before the internet, I asked my father what his great grandfather was called. I found the family easily on the census and traced the wife back through five generations - took some time because it all had to be done in the Records Office in those days.

Wasn't for several more years that I thought to get the marriage cert - oops! She was SECOND wife and not the mother of any of my relatives!

OC

Comment

Well OC at least i'm in good company!!

Comment

I'm glad you managed to sort this one out. Happy to have helped. While I was digging about I think I spotted a possibility for George Dobson on 1851 census (unmarried) if I get chance later I'll have another look.
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X