How can I find ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find ?????

Hi, Can any one please tell me if ,there is a way I can find out if a person Divorced ???
    Sheila :D
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

What era are we talking about? Unlikely and expensive before WW2.

A subsequent marriage cert SHOULD say "previous marriage dissolved" but people often lied about being divorced as it was such a social disgrace.

OC

Comment

Sheila, there are some on The National Archives website and I think some on findmypast. Hopefully someone can remember the code for the National Archives database!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you are talking abou the 1950's I think you will need to contact

The Principal Registry of the Family Division
        1st Avenue House
        42-29 High Holborn
        London WC1V 6NP

Comment

re last post.....to apply for a search you would need to complete a form D440 and send it to the above. (I don't think the form is available online :( )

Comment

Oh and it's £20 for each 10 year period checked.

Comment

Thank you for that it is a bit difficult from Queensland but I'll have to try, if I can't answer my puzzle
              OC I think it would be in the 1940/1950 1960 at most
              Sheila

Comment

How is knowing they divorced going to help though??

Why don't you just write to them? (the son-in-law, I mean)

Comment

I have this horrible, sickening, feeling, that someone has blocked me!!!

Because otherwise, I don't know how Merry knows

a) you were talking about the 1950s

and

b) your brother in lawe is somehow involved.

*creeps off thread to ponder who hates me so much I can't see their posts*

OC

Comment

Hi O C No I do not think so, I have a thread "" John S should be dead "and Merry's comment relates to that I think anyway who could hate you , ?????
                    Sheila

Comment

OC, I don't think anybody can block you from reading their posts - I think it only works the other way round; you can put somebody onto your block ("ignore") list and then you will not see that person's posts. But I'm sure Merry is just remembering something from another of Sheila's threads?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have my parents-in-law's marriage cert 1949 and it states father-in-law

"[name withheld by me] Evans, 27, formerly the husband of [namewitheld by me] Evans formerly [name withheld] spinster, from whom he obtained a divorce. "

doesn't give information about previous marriage date or date of divorce and I've been unable to trace this first wife - not a relative, but I am just plain nosey!!

However, this first marriage was a BIG secret. I only found out after both my parents-in-law died, and m-i-l only told my husband as she thought it would be a big shock if he found the divorce decree nisi papers when we cleared the house after their deaths. No one ever mentioned his first wife, and I was told that my parents-in-law married in the Methodist church because m-i-l didn't get on with the Anglican vicar!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

having had a part in the other thread too - neither party appears to have remarried - i know I have looked at every blessed quarter!

I think you need to stop and really take stock of the info you have- see where you are, what it will be helpful to know now, and what will add something to your research.

(personally I think you are up a gum tree and gone wrong anyway)
                          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 30-12-07, 13:37.
                          Jess

Comment

Working...
                          X