Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Hi

im just going over some old ground and have retaken a look at a census image of a distant grandparent. Ive just noticed that the blind or deaf and dumb is ticked for my grandfather. Having looked further, it seems that the majority of housholds have this column ticked. was it normal for so many to be like that in 1841, or do you think something else is going on?

If you want to take a look its

piece 2179, folio 658, page 19 and John Phillips right down the bottom.

Im presuming it wasnt the street as his daughter and husband (my next set of grandparents) lived in that street. I havent yet got his death cert as its quite a common name, so cant confirm if he was actually one of those.

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Robyne

I'm getting no matches found on that reference, but I'm wondering if it really is a tick for disability, or whether its just the ticks put on later when the information was checked and collated?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sure I've read somewhere that the column was often ticked later when pages being checked. As there are several ticks in that column it would seem likely.
      Last edited by Mavis by the Moor; 29-12-07, 19:09.
      Mavis
      Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

well thats what i wondered as its rather a lot of people (by the way its 1851, not 1841 like i said:o)
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

And they are all seamen or mariners, so I doubt they were all disabled!

I should think they ticks refer to some other checking that was being done. I would ignore it!

Comment

now I've got the right year I can look at the page. I think they are just ticks where the info has been checked or collated. If they were deaf/dumb/blind I think it would state which in the column.

Comment

I have one or two relatives I know to be deaf/dumb, and those words are written in the disability column.

If there was just a tick, how would the statisticians know what the disability was, as there was a choice!

OC

Comment

I've also had problems with that column. Sometimes there has been what I assumed to be a disability scribbled in but I couldn't read it at first. Once I finally interpreted the scribble turned out to be the name of the county which had been added by the checker at a later date. It was against a non-local place name.

Anne

Comment

Anne

Tell me about it - I have one poor lady mistranscribed as birthplace Woodmancotebadlegge when in fact it should be birthplace: Woodmancote and disability: bad legs!

I also have a chap who appears on one census as "dumb from birth" but no mention made of this disability on later censuses - did he learn to talk or was the earlier census wrong?!

Comment

Usually if there is a tick in that column it means they had counted the person as born in a different county - they used that column because it was so rarely filled in for its intended purpose! But rest assured that if the person was actually deaf, blind, or whatever, it would not just be a tick but it would state what particular disability they had.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                    X