Your afternoon project......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your afternoon project......

I have to take the children swimming (they have too much energy, unlike myself)

So I'm leaving this with you. I just need you to find out all you can about this farm:

It's the place of birth for James Lavender b 1897 on the 1851 census here:

HO107; Piece: 1548; Folio: 216; Page: 25

I am really trying to discover his mother's maiden name, but as I can't find any ref to his parents marriage anywhere, I thought learning about their property might be helpful!!

James's baptism is this one:

JAMES LAVENDER
    Event(s):
    Birth: 19 NOV 1796
    Christening: 28 DEC 1796 Spier St Independent, Saint Albans, Hertford Parents:
    Father: LEVI LAVENDER
    Mother: LEAH
    Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

It's Leah I'm really interested in. She is on the 1841 census at Watford aged 60, born in Herts, but she died before 1851, so I don't know exactly where she was born.

If you could conjour up a marriage for Levi Lavender and Leah Maynard about 1794, that would be even better!!

This whole family are driving me nuts......

I've got to go now!! Back in about two hours.........

You just go out and enjoy yourself Merry - don't worry about us!

Not sure if this is going to help - or is relevant

TNA website

Description Will of Levi Lavender, Gentleman of Ridge , Hertfordshire
    Date 10 February 1809
    Catalogue reference PROB 11/1493links to the Catalogue
    Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
    Elaine

Comment

I'd love to help but I can't understand what it says.

C/Gui??ers Farm

I'm off to Tesco to find something to make my sick bed less snotty but I'll look in when I get back
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Leah and Levi are Jewish names and Lavender is unusual, so theoretically it should be easy to find the info! Off to have a look now.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Um, I think you mean James was born 1795/6 not 1896? And if you want Levi to marry Leah Maynard, that implies you already know what her maiden name was?

Comment

Following on from the Ridge mention in the Will found above by Elaine and the fact that you've found Leah in Watford 1841, the 1851 census has a Thomas Lavender, born Ridge 1807, in Watford - HO107; Piece: 1714; Folio: 164; Page: 1

Comment

1861 has Thomas saying he was born in Shenley (not far from St Albans) and there's a Nathaniel Lavender born 1800 in Ridge, living in Hemel Hempstead.

Comment

Thomas is clearly connected, probably younger brother

from IGI
                THOMAS LAVENDER Birth: 12 FEB 1807
                Christening: 20 APR 1807 Spier St Independent, Saint Albans, Hertford, Parents: LEVI LAVENDER and LEAH

Comment

Ridge is just a few miles east of Shenley and both are south of St Albans.

Comment

Nothing for Spier Street, 1796-1926: registers, property records and charity records but HALS (Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies) have 1796-1926: registers, property records and charity records for Spicer Street Independent Chapel, St Albans

Comment

Can't decipher the farm name or anything like it, but there is a Coursers Farm at Colney Heath (just south of St A and close to Shenley). Google for info.

Comment

I'm back!! (damp!)

It's funny about the Jewish sounding names isn't it?

If this Leah is Leah Maynard then apart from marrying a Levi, she also had a brother called Levi Maynard who went to live in South Africa (he's around on Google).

I have the 1808 will for Levi Lavender. Turned out to be Leah's father-in-law and her husband Levi had died in 1807. Levi senior left much of his property to Leah and her six children (named), all of whom are on the IGI. He had property in Kempston Beds which is where Leah's father grew up.

My original reason for looking at Leah at all was a tree I have showing the sister of Levi Maynard (abt 1776-1856) who went to SA, being "Mrs Lavender" (first names of many females on the tree were unknown to the tree compiler!! I hate these Victorian niceties!!) and that one of her sons was Nathan Lavender of Ridge (Nathan rather than Nathaniel is a Maynard "name"). One of Leah's sons was Nathaniel Lavender (not Nathan!!) and he was born at Ridge in 1800.

It's that last bit I'm basing everything on!

I have Leah's will which wasn't very interesting....except she says she was left some money by a spinster lady called Miss Phillips (from memory)...I have seen Miss Phillips will on TNA index and wonder if I should get it......Maybe it would say something of interest??? The surname Phillips appears in Levi Maynard's 1808 will too, but it's a common enough surname to have no connection I suppose.......

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          Can't decipher the farm name or anything like it, but there is a Coursers Farm at Colney Heath (just south of St A and close to Shenley). Google for info.
                          Is that near Colney Hatch? One of the witnesses to Levi's 1808 will was from there.

This whole family are like this.........tiny snippets which would make the whole tale really interesting, but impossible to find the basic facts to join it all up. :(

The whole blinkey Maynard family were beamed in from outer space in the middle of the 1700's!

There are 14 foolscap volumes of family docs at Cambs RO and Saffron Walden Museum (neither archive will give their records to the other....I think Saf Walden have volumes 5,6 and 13 or something like that!).....yet still this family is a nightmare!! lolol I really need to move house for a couple of years :(

Comment

Although Levi and Leah are Jewish names, they are also good old non-conformist names too, which seems to be backed up by those baptisms at an Independent chapel?

Jews and Non conformists both draw their first names from the OLD Testament, not the New Testament, in accordance with their beliefs.

OC

Comment

Oh, like Job in my Quaker tree?

Comment

I think I'll get that will of Miss Phillips.

*prepares to waste £3.50*

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  I think I'll get that will of Miss Phillips.

*prepares to waste £3.50*

Hmmm.....well if I was doing the Lavender family it was a great find!

Comment

Just seen the mention of Colney Hatch...that is in what used to be Barnet, Herts.

I used to live just up the road from Colney Hatch, which was a famous lunatic asylum, spread over hundreds of acres.It borders New Southgate/Friern Barnet, where the "mother" lunatic asylum was housed. (Now frightfully expensive executive housing)

OC

Comment

Is/was Friern Barnet posh? I did some research for someone and all their rellies were really wealthy and from Friern Barnet, so I always imagine it really grand!! lol

Comment

Barnet is posh-ish - as folk got wealthier they could afford to move away from the city whilst still commuting in. But like everywhere there are probably grottier bits.

Comment

Working...
                                        X