Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help reading census

Could someone have a look at this when they've got time

The chap is Charles a 15 year old, not in the county of birth. His parents and sibling were still alive and living somewhere else if its the right Charles.

extract.jpg

Ref HO / 107 / 373 /7 Enumeration Schedule 13, St Michaels, Bristol

I don't usually ask this because I know people's time is precious, but its baffled me.

xx

Maggie
    Last edited by Guest; 29-12-07, 10:07.

Not sure what you want us to look at Maggie - and the reference you have given is not the full reference so cannot view the image myself.

Update - have found the image. What is it you want to know?
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 29-12-07, 09:55.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry -

The profession/trade?

xx

Maggie

Comment

The first part of it looks like Chemist but I cannot read the second part of it.
        The person above was also a Chemist so possibly Charles was a Chemist Asst. or trainee.

Have you found him in 1851 - if so what was his profession then?
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you, thats sort of what I thought too but it doesn't fit in with his later profession Saddler/Harnesser so I think I've got the wrong Charles back to the drawing board.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Do you want to give us a later census reference to see if we can see anything for you?
            Elaine

Comment

Okay well this all stems from my quest on the Cooks/Cookes from Docking Norfolk. Having had a lot of help on this forum from you good people on my WDWTYA I made a connection on Ancestry with a someone who is descended from the Cooks in Docking.

This Charles is supposed to be one of my G G Grandmother's brothers now I am happy to believe this and I want to believe this but the fact that he was born in abt 1827 and he's not on the 1841 census I'm curious as to why and I'm such a sceptic. No doubt he's related but a brother?

I am waiting for my Ancestry connection to send me 'lots of information' their words not mine. While waiting I decided obviously to go and have a ferret myself.

The first census I found (which tallys with the limited info so far my conctact has told me) is:-

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3423; Folio: 8; Page: 9; GSU roll: 839410.

Docking mistranscribed as Dorking! This Charles went off to Lincolnshire and then eventually Doncaster.

But I can't seem to pin him down before that in Norfolk or anywhere else really, unless he's from a connected family called Cook.

xx

Maggie

Comment

RG9; Piece: 2394; Folio: 70; Page: 8;
                transcribed as Charles Cook
                Elaine

Comment

Elaine - I had a look for a saddler or a harness maker in 1861 to see if I could pick up the one maggie is looking for, but the only one I could find was Charles Cook aged 32, saddler, born in Norfolk and living in Lincolnshire!! So I doubt he's the one, unfortunately!

Comment

There was definitely another Cook(e) family in Docking; I think the father was Henry, if I remember rightly, and they had loads of children with them on one of the censuses (including that woman who was next door to George on a later census and had loads of illegitimate children). I wonder if Charles could belong to them? If only we had parish registers for Docking...
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you look at the 1841 for Docking the "other" Cooks are transcribed as Cock on Ancestry but I can't see a Charles with them. There is a bit of a gap in ages, though, as they have one who is 11 and one who is 18, so there could be a few who came in between. Now I remember just how common a name Cook is! Sorry, got to get off the computer now...
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                        There was definitely another Cook(e) family in Docking; I think the father was Henry, if I remember rightly, and they had loads of children with them on one of the censuses (including that woman who was next door to George on a later census and had loads of illegitimate children). I wonder if Charles could belong to them? If only we had parish registers for Docking...
                        Henry and Lydia Cook, probably related in some way though.

This is what I'm thinking. That my connection has got the Cooks mixed up its easy to do.

And you see this contact has Sarah has a sister! I'm not convinced. I wish she'd send me the information she has.

Damn the Cooks they are driving me mad and I wish they'd make up their mind whether its spelt with an E or not.

;)

xx

Maggie

Comment

So are you saying that

Charles Cook born in Docking Norfolk, married to Elizabeth and living in Middle Rasen Lincolnshire on the 1861, occ saddler
                          RG9; Piece: 2394; Folio: 70; Page: 8

is not the same person as

Charles Cooke born in Dorking Norfolk, married to Elizabeth and living in Middle Rasen Lincolnshire in 1871, occ. saddler
                          RG10; Piece: 3423; Folio: 8; Page: 9
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Oh, so I found the right one......you all obviously know what this thread is about!

Erm........why would he be in Bristol??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              .....you all obviously know what this thread is about!
                              Ummmm ..... NO !!!!
                              Elaine

Comment

Sorry, I was on the phone and missed that long post by maggie. Then suddenly everyone knew it was Norfolk!! pmsl!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  Yeah thats the one, can't seem to find him in 1841 unless of course he's from another family!

Kiterunner,

Yes they've mistranscribed my G G Grandmothers second marriage as Caroline Cock Kendall. I'm sure someone somewhere will have a surname Cock so I won't make any jokes.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Oh, so I found the right one......you all obviously know what this thread is about!

Erm........why would he be in Bristol??
                                    I don't know - but my point is I can't seem to find him anywhere in 1841 and if he was born abt 1827 then he was 14 years old. I am curious as to where he was and why if he is part of my Cooks family why wasn't he at home.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Have you got him in 1851?

Comment

Have you got him in 1851?
                                        No.

I've just checked on Ancestry tree and this contact has got both Sarah and Martha down has sisters!!!

I think she's got the familys mixed up, Sarah and Martha are Henry and Lydia's daughters. Might be related but not siblings mmmmm... oh dear

She has William and George who are definitely my GG grandmother's brother has brothers!

That's why I am wondering about old Charlie!

xx

Maggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X