Legacy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy question

I'm being a good girl and attempting to make sure I've got all census citations on each person entered on legacy.

Is there any way I can easily tag those that have all the census or tag ones with missing data? I want to be able to do this so I don't keep looking at people I've already done.( :o
    Thanks in advance!
    Peps

Not sure it can be done on Legacy. I find it easier to use a spreadsheet.If you do not have microsoft office, you can download a spread sheet and word docs prog from.IBM Lotus Symphony hope this helps

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

You can put them on a 'to do' list,Peppie, if that is useful. If you open Legacy with the Research Guidance tab (instead of the usual "Family' view,the fourth option on the screen is the 'To-Do list' . You can consult your list at any time easily, by going to 'View" (up on the top of your screen) and clicking on 'To-Do list'...about half way down the menu.

Is that the sort of thing you wanted...or did you want to do something different?

Beverley

Comment

If you want to use the 'tag' option, make sure the tag window is showing..it should appear at the top right of each individual in 'Family' view. If it is not showing, go to 'Options' (top right of screen), click on 'customize' and in the 'general' screen, ensure that the box near the bottom left is checked to enable tagging options.

If you are using the freebie Legacy software, you will have only 3 tags to use....Legacy Deluxe has about nine, I think. Dedicate one of these levels to your required purpose, eg tagged names have/do not have all census records..and just click on that tag number as you finish each individual. Later, you can view the list via the name list, 'search', 'view all tagged' and select the tag number that you have allocated.
        It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Hope this helps.

Beverley

Comment

You're a star McBev!

thank you! Now I've got to go and kick hubs off the laptop where the most up to date tree is loaded...

Comment

That's OK Peppie....I hope it works for you. Give me a yell if there is anything else you need that you think I might be able to help you with.

Beverley

Comment

Peppie

have you seen this in the wiki?

Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes I have, also have the how to guide which was downloaded when I got the full version.

Unfortuantley I never ever have read a guide book ever! :D I'm an suck it and see person, who learns by doing things, and was wondering if any oher Legacy users had come up with a better way of doing it than what I was thinking of.

Tho I will say as suggested by Glen, I disagree and I think if we all just use the Wikki and don't ask questions the forum then becomes a very quiet place. Also by people asking questions you come across things that you may never thought of doing with your research or places to find information. If it was only in the wikki that the 1911 census for Dublin was online, I'd never know, but as someone asked a question about Irish research on the reference board I found this out.

also go the the wikki and type in for instance POW or Prisioner of war.
                This is what you get

Search results
                From the Family Tree Forum Reference Library
                You searched for Prisioner of war

Jump to:navigation, search
                There is no page titled "Prisioner of war". You can create this page.

For more information about searching Family Tree Forum, see Searching Family Tree Forum.

Showing below 0 results starting with #1.
                You have to trapse through loads of pages manually and if you are new to research or using a wikki you may think that there is nothing there. That happens with lots of searches there.

There is a place for asking questions and using the wikki ;)

Comment

YES!! lol there is... ;)

its in site information...

If members dont say what problems they are having with the wiki then we cant resolve them

there is an index of all the pages that are in wiki as well, on the wiki mainpage

Julie

Comment

On the other hand, had you searched for prisoners of war you would have got:

11 results

Unlike Google, the wiki can't guess what you were looking for if you have mistyped the word.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

LOL I know it's there but someone who just entered the term into the search box would think there wasn't :p:D

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                        On the other hand, had you searched for prisoners of war you would have got:

11 results

Unlike Google, the wiki can't guess what you were looking for if you have mistyped the word.
                        Ah...but humans can....and given the number of typos/ spelling errors that are committed on a daily basis on FTF (yes...I count myself amongst those)..it is probably a good thing that people ask questions on threads like this as well as using the Wiki.

Beverley

Comment

I agree we need both, but it isn't fair to blame the wiki so often when folks can't find things with one search - when all that has happened is that you have typed something in incorrectly (she says typing VERY carefully!!) ...

I love the way Google suggests other ways of spelling ... even if it is annoying at other times.
                          Caroline
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I isnae blaming Wiki at all Caroline. I think it is great
                            I just dont quite agree with Glen's stance..I think there is room for a multi-pronged approach in getting out information. As a retired teacher, my motto is "by all means to educate some." :D

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                              I isnae blaming Wiki at all Caroline. I think it is great
                              I just dont quite agree with Glen's stance..I think there is room for a multi-pronged approach in getting out information. As a retired teacher, my motto is "by all means to educate some." :D
                              As a (soon to be retired, I hope) teacher, I agree - we do need both but it is sad when the wiki isn't used as much as it could be because folk are so wary of it no matter how hard we try ...
                              Caroline

Comment

It will be Caroline...online shopping was around for ten years or so and nearly went broke. Look at it now

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                                  It will be Caroline...online shopping was around for ten years or so and nearly went broke. Look at it now
                                  I would rather not while I wait for my Christmas shopping bill to come through!! :D :D
                                  Caroline

Comment

I'm with Macbev.......:o

Yes I know I mistyped........ that one.....It drives me nuts moving beteween a keyboard and a laptop........ but try "tag* on the wikki.....
                                    nothing.:p

and there was nothing with POW which was my first choice of searching. and POW gets used more in normal convos than Prisioner of war ( prisioner is one of those stupid words like does and dose....... *smilie)

Multipronged approach all the way.........!

i'd hate the fact that people would have to talk to an inaminate object when they could talk to a human if they wanted to, even though a human would have put the info there.

Bit by bit slowly slowly.......

The majority of friends I have on here have ben through asking questions about research not by looking at the wikki! (even tho it's really useful) Love them to pieces and always got a left eye open for things that might be interesting to them. and I hope v*a*v

I hate the go look at the wikki.......:( first things I see......

Chill and have a nice glass of champers with us...... ;)

iu have included 6 images in this message......... so apologies I have to remove a coouple so the hugs and winks and smiles might not be shown.......

Comment

ahhh but you need to think abit broader.... POW .... you dont have to type the whole lot out...... think the bigger picture

"military" you will find it there... justa matter of knowing which way to search it,

;)
                                      Julie

Comment

Given the hours and hours that have been put into the wiki it is a bit demoralising to realise that we have wasted our time for nearly a year now. When we know that the info is there we will point people towards it - while they are there they may well find other useful things.

But it does help if correct spelling is used in the first place.

The abbreviations problem is gradually being sorted but it takes some work to get them all sorted so that they work as we find the need for them - since none of us are clairvoyant and cannot always predict what people are going to search for.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X