brotherton marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brotherton marriage.

can anyone find the date and place of marriage of stephen brotherton and mary hams first child born in shifnal shropshire 1838, Have looked in the bmd but no luck many thanks Jean
    jean charlton

Hello Jean,

Probably can't help, but wanted to welcome you.

Have you trawled the indexes or just used the free ones?

Have you tried the IGI?

Libby.

Comment

Jean,

I found Sarah's birth and sister??? Emma in 1840.

Can't find marriage on IGI. Do you have Sarah's birth cert? Does it have mother or father's place of birth? Not sure if yours do???

Comment

If the first child that you know of was born in 1838, then it is very likely that they married before the start of civil registration (second half of 1837), so you would need to look at the parish registers to find their marriage. If you are lucky then it might be on a website such as FamilySearch, or there might be a marriage index CD-ROM which includes it, but if you are not so lucky then you might have to visit the county record office for Shropshire and look through the parish registers for likely parishes.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi. I have sarah birth certificate. September 1838. Shifnal Shropshire. I have checked the IGI but no luck, and looked into the nearest registers , will just have to keep trying. thanks alot. Jean.
          jean charlton

Comment

Hi. I have looked into family search. bmd. and local registers near to Shifnal shropshire. No luck there. Thanks for your help. Jean.
            jean charlton

Comment

Hi. Thanks for uour reply. I have looked into IGI FAMILY SEARCH and Local Registers to Shifnal Shropshire. No luck so far. Regards Jean
              jean charlton

Comment

Jean, looking at the family on the 1851 census, Mary's birthplace is given as Shropshire Skelton (or perhaps Shelton?) which a very quick Google seems to suggest is in Shrewsbury? I don't know much about that area, so it could be that there is another place of the same name that is near Shifnal, but anyway, it could well be that the marriage took place in the church local to where her family lived, hopefully at Shelton / Skelton.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                X