memory stick query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory stick query

Got my memory stick (got two now cos had one for christmas..........lol)
    Computer decided half way through the afternoon it 'couldn't find server' so I thought I'd transfer some stuff from My Documents and pictures. All went smoothly but thought I'd double check and make sure they were on the memory thingy...........well they were but all individually....crikey............if I transfer all my floppy disk stuff as well I'll be forever sifting through it all.
    Is there a way I can put all the family history stuff together ? and thats just for a start.............some of my pictures are photos, some are ones I want to keep for avatars and stuff like that but would like to seperate them so they're easier to find. There has to be a way ...........doesn't there ?

(If I don't answer it'll be because computer 'cannot find server' again......why does it do this ?)

Make folders.
    Put all your family history stuff in one. Make sub-folders inside the family history main one for different names inside it, for eg family one, two, three etc. You could also make a sub folder or a separate one for census images, copies of certs etc. When you open the main folder it will give you all the sub-folders, and you can choose which one to open.
    As you add to information you can save your stuff directly into these folders and sub-folders direct, by scrolling through the options.

same for photos and everything else, eg family photos, holiday photos and so on.

I find this works there may be better ways. I will keep my eye on this thread for hints.

Can't help with 'server not found' - does it stop you getting on the internet? I have odd messages all the time, one is I need to re-start the computer - I just ignore it. But I wish I had an answer for it too.
    Last edited by jenmargs; 26-12-07, 17:44.

Comment

Oh dear...........I;m going to sound ever so daft but how do you make a sub-folder ? I've never done that before. I just put stuff in My Documents or Pictures and every so often cleared it or put stuff onto floppy disk.

Comment

I honestly can't remember (memory like a sieve) and I have naffed up my laptop last night loading my new graphics pad. think I've cleaned the hard drive. Still I have everything (I hope) I need on the mem stick.
        So I am on this old thing which the kids use and had loads of viruses on it - took hours to clean. So I can't go into mine to see how I do it. Isn't that silly?

Anyway, click on 'my documents' at the side should have a list of things eg 'make new folder'. Without looking in my own documents I cannot remember the sequence but it's really easy, honest.

Someone else will come along soon with the instructions. Should we put an alert out on the 'general' Board?

Comment

Click 'my document' should have list at side 'make new folder' - it appears - name it- drag whichever documents you want to it. Click and drag.

Still fathoming out sub-folders. I have got them. Very handy.

Comment

Thanks jen. Hope you get your computer sorted soon.

This 'cannot find server' popped up this afternoon while I was in between different sites and the I couldn't get on internet at all. I disk cleaned and stuff, put docs. and pics. on memory stick then switched off computer, switched on again and it was ok. OH says I'd worn it out...............lol

Comment

These computers got a mind of their own.

Folders. you've got your main 'family history folder'. Make new folder - call it 'family A' for instance. Put everything in it you want for 'family A'. drag that folder to the 'family history folder. It will be inside the 'family history' folder as a separate sub-folder named 'family A'.

There's a bit of work involved but once it's done it's done.

When you want to save 'family A' stuff scroll down documents-family history folder-to 'family A' folder - and save it in that.
              Last edited by jenmargs; 26-12-07, 19:28.

Comment

Thanks jen................sounds like a bit of work but will be worth it. I'll have to put some time aside for that I think

Comment

Marylou,
                  I still don't understand memory sticks as they all seem different. My Scandisk 4GB stick has all sorts of programes on it and that is a nightmare.
                  However, be carefull not to overwrite on your memory stick - I think that they are more like a RW disc. So if you drag a Document Folder on to it you may find that earlier work is over written. (I only think this happens~feel sure someone will put me right on the subject).
                  While trying to understand this I have two memory sticks and I back up with Stick A one week and Stick B the next. I know many are having a laugh now, however, the reason is that my hard drive saves all and if I format the stick I am not using I can drag the latest folders on to the stick without sitting for hours while one file at a time is moved and I don't have to keep clicking on 'skip' if it has previously been saved. In a nutshell I get the latest stored on my Hard Drive in one go.
                  This sounds complicated so will go away and have a further think about it.
                  We will get there in the end.
                  Margaret N
                  DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thanks Margaret. That may be well worth knowing.

Comment

Working...
                    X