Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC: is Eliza HOLDEN (m 8 JAN 1809 St Andrew By The Wardrobe) one of yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC: is Eliza HOLDEN (m 8 JAN 1809 St Andrew By The Wardrobe) one of yours?

OC - or anyone else with HOLDENs in their tree.

I have found 3 possible IGI marriages for my Gx3-g-father, Newman BATES (b 1786 in Wingrave, not Drayton Parslow - for any BATES researchers) to a bride with first name Eliza(beth)/Elisabeth. One very possible one is to Eliza HOLDEN: 8 JAN 1809 St Andrew By The Wardrobe, London [M022322]. There is a set of plausible children to go with the marriage, and fitting in neatly before the appearance in Bucks of the part of the family I know about. This would give births:
    1. Newman BATES: b 8 FEB 1809 [P001361]; bap 14 MAY 1809 St Benet Pauls Wharf, London; Newman B & Eliza [P001361]
    2. Francis BATES: b 8 JUN 1810 [C022321]; bap 2 FEB 1814 St Andrew By The Wardrobe, London; Newman B & Elisabeth [C022321]
    3. Mary BATES: b 6 APR 1812 [C022321]; bap 2 FEB 1814 St Andrew By The Wardrobe, London; Newman B & Elisabeth [C022321]
    4. John BATES: b ? [C022321]; bap 2 FEB 1814 St Andrew By The Wardrobe, London; Newman B & Elisabeth [C022321]
    5. Eliza BATES: b ? [P022091]; bap 15 DEC 1816 St Ann Blackfriars, London; Newman B & Eliza [P022091]
    6. William BATES: b 23 Oct 1817 [PR Edlesborough p20, no 159]; bap 11 Jan 1818 [PR Edlesborough p20, no 159]
    7. Elizabeth BATES: b 1823-4 Northall, Bucks [1881] Aug 1823 [PR-bap]; bap 15 May 1825, Edlesborough [PRegr]

Does anyone lay claim to this particular Eliza? If so, does your research suggest a move from London to Northall in N Bucks (near Leighton Buzzard) about 1816/17? (Northall's parish church is in Edlesborough.)

And where did she come from?
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-12-07, 11:00.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Did you know that the Newman Bates who married Eliza Holden was a widower? (at least that's what it shows on Pallot's Marriage Index on Ancestry!)

Comment

Is that him on the 1851 census married to a Sarah?

Comment

Thanks, Merry

I hadn't spotted the widower bit (thanks for the extra detail) and, yes, that is indeed my Newman with Sarah to wife in 1851. Assuming my name-linking is valid, his namesake-son married a Sarah, too, and lived in Newcastle...

As I type that, I recall that the vast majority of the Eliza HOLDENs in the IGI seem to come from Up North. It would be very possible for a son to go back up to mother's territory to find a wife?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I would have thought the man who went to Northumberland might well be this one:

(as his ages ties in better)

NEWMAN BATES
          Event(s):
          Birth:
          Christening: 21 MAR 1804 Saint Giles Cripplegate, London
          Parents:
          Father: NEWMAN BATES
          Mother: ANN
          Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Comment

Do you know when your Newman (1786) married his Sarah?

Comment

Christine

Sorry, no, I don't specifically recognise her.

It is true that Holdens originate in Lancashire, but of course over the centuries they spread everywhere, so it isn't a fail safe guide I'm afraid.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Do you know when your Newman (1786) married his Sarah?

Am I right in thinking he is with Elizabeth in 1841 and Sarah in 1851? Elizabeth not born in Bucks and Sarah born in Herts?

I can't see a remarriage for Newman between 1841 and 1851.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  I would have thought the man who went to Northumberland might well be this one:

(as his ages ties in better)

NEWMAN BATES
                  Event(s):
                  Birth:
                  Christening: 21 MAR 1804 Saint Giles Cripplegate, London
                  Parents:
                  Father: NEWMAN BATES
                  Mother: ANN
                  Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.
                  Quite right Merry! :o It was a nice idea while it lasted.

Thanks for spotting it. I was having fun rooting out that family, but not much point if it isn't relevant to my lot. Still I'll keep it on one side in case it resurfaces at another place!

Christine

Comment

This is the info I've collected for my Newman:
                    Newman BATES:
                    b 1785-6 Wingrave, Bucks [1851]
                    bap 30 Apr 1786 Wingrave [ParReg]
                    m1 Elizabeth X
                    11 Jan 1818 & 15 May 1825, Wheelwright; Northall [children's baptism entries]
                    1841HO107-49-14fo9p12: age 56, wheelwright; Northall
                    m2 <1851 to Sarah (b 1790-1 Long Marston, Herts)
                    1851HO107-1756: age 65, Wheelwright; Northall.

d ??1879q4 age 81 Aylesbury 3a-349 (not bur Wingrave)

But I haven't managed to find a marriage 1841-51 for him, either. So maybe they just didn't get around to it!

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-12-07, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Christine

Sorry, no, I don't specifically recognise her.

It is true that Holdens originate in Lancashire, but of course over the centuries they spread everywhere, so it isn't a fail safe guide I'm afraid.

OC
                      Ah well, it was worth asking, just in case you had some info on her - and assuming she is the one married to my Newman, of course!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X