Ancestry trawl or findmypast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry trawl or findmypast?

I'm looking for some children born 1956 onwards. I have surname and mother's maiden name. Does anyone know if findmypast (for which I don't have a sub) has surname combined with mmn searches this far forward or am I down to trawling ancestry (for which I do have a sub)?

Can't put names on here as they are living.
    Thanks, Jools

i always use ancestry, so i cant give an opinion of find my past sorry.

Comment

Jools, no site has a full index for that period; it will be much the same whichever site you go on - no choice but to trawl through.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Unless it's one of the places where the local register office has a searchable online database.

There's a list on the Local page of UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line with the names sorted alphabetically, but in two sets: firstly the ones which share a particular software package, and then the ones that don't.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine - Unfortunately they're not in one of those areas :(

Trawl time I'm afraid.

Thanks everyone, Jools

Comment

If you are like me Jools and get tired of the waiting for Ancestry pages to come up you may think it's worth £6.95 for 60 searched on find my past. It's so much easier, quicker and clearer and you could do about 13/14 years with that if it is a fairly unusual name and you are lucky and they don't go onto two pages very often.

If you would like to PM me with the name and mmn I would be happy to do a few years for you.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie - I'm about to pm you. Surname is fairly common, but mmn is not. Jools

Comment

I have just checked Jools and there are 3 or 4 pages for every quarter of that surname, so it could be a long haul!!! I will check 1957 and 1958 for you.

Comment

Crikey, I don't believe it, the first quarter I checked and found one
                  As you haven't mentioned the surname or mmn on here it should be ok to give the details. Surname and mmn as you stated, the name is Barry Oct-Dec 1958 Darlington 1a 288

Comment

I shall wait until you read my latest PM before I look for any more children. The person I mentioned may be able to give you the rest of the details without searching

Comment

Thanks Chrissie - pm on way. Jools

Comment

Working...
                      X