Can someone help with year and place please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help with year and place please

This is a photo I have just got from my mum she didn't know she had it and doesn't have any info surrounding it apart from it being of my g grandparents who lived in St George Bristol Glo until the 1950s then they retired to Clevedon Somerset. Could someone help me age the photo and if possible tell me where they were please?

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

Thats a very steep beach, sorry i dont know, but i am wondering what all them clothers are doing on the floor around them LOL.

Comment

Gee Pat it is only 3.45am over there have you been to bed yet...pmsl

Comment

i would say 1930,s because of the glasses small and round,alf garnet type.i thought that i can see a striped tie and the mans collar is open could be his,stoney beach could be llandudno wales?brenda xxx
        Last edited by Guest; 25-12-07, 13:01.

Comment

Would that be a holiday place then Brenda.

Thanks for the year range mate. I that the tie on the rocks you are talking about?
          The clothes that Pat was referring to I was having trouble working out what all that was. Must have been others with them who went swimming do you think? What do you think the striped tie means then?

It is really spooky every time I look at him he reminds me more and more of Dad amd one of his brothers they sure are his grandchildren.

Comment

Oh how rude of me

Merry Christmas Brenda hope you are having a great day with your family mate.

Comment

at a stab in the dark i would say Brigton or somewhere near as they have a pebbley beach and in parts is quite steep.

Comment

Where is Brigton Pat please mate pardon my higgerence?

Comment

Brighton | City Guide | East Sussex | UK

there you go

Comment

Living in Bristol that would be a holiday trip wouldn't it Pat?

Comment

Yes definatly so kind of outting or weekend away for the family

Comment

My grandparents and their 5 boys (my Dad about 10 and second youngest) came out here in 1927 so that holiday would have been after they had emmigrated so it wasn't them with them but there was another younger son and 2 girls so that could be who was swimming and belonging to the clothes.

Thank you for your help Pat and I am hoping you are enjoying your Christmas Day while I am tieing you up here...lol Merry Christmas mate.

Comment

Just for interest sake Pat and Brenda this is their eldest son and his family my Dad is on our far left beside his mother. This was taken at Bondi Beach Sydney Australia not long after they arrived in Australia in 1927.

Comment

everyone seemed to go to llandudno,and yes its the coast of wales,beach is all pebbles.
                            thankyou hope your day went well too,take care brenda xxx

Comment

Hi, McPanda

My first thought was that it could be Chesil Beach, which runs along the south coast of Dorset from Portland to West Bay - (Portland is near Weymouth, a holiday resort on the Dorset coast) - it would have to be the Weymouth/Portland end of the beach, as that is where it is stoniest.
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hi Joan how's your Christmas going mate.

So looking at Pats link she left me it is the same coastline as Brighton but Weymouth end. Have I got that right ... boy my geography knowledge is getting a boost with this...lol
                                Thanks for the help Joan. Don't you sleep either...lol My UK clock tells me it is nearly 3am over there...you still celebrating? lol

Comment

Hi McP

Got up very early, was in bed at 8 and am now wide awake !! - but will go back to bed soon or will be wrecked tomorrow. Hope you've had a good day.

Weymouth is on the South Coast, like Brighton, but Brighton is in Sussex and Weymouth is in Dorset - and there is Hampshire in between, so it's quite a distance apart
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Here is a picture of it........Chesil Beach in Dorset
                                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Chesil Beach, Dorset - Geological Field Guide, General Introduction by Dr. Ian West.

Joan I Googled a bit and geologically I think the pebbles are bigger Portland end and in the photo at this link it looks like the houses that were behind them in the photo I posted. Or do you think I am only seeing what I want to see...lol

Comment

Yes, the stones are bigger at the Portland and gradually get smaller towards the West Bay end ( strangely, the stones are also graded horizontally as well as vertically, so if you looked at the bottom layer of the beach, the smallest would be at the Portland end) - does that make sense?

I think the beach is abouty twenty miles long, so the scenery does vary quite a bit

Certainly now, the buildings there are not used as houses ( if they are houses, I don't think that this would be Chesil Beach) - they are some holiday chalets and some used by fishermen for storage - especially of lobster pots.

I am not certain, but does look very like Chesil Beach to me... and Portand adjoins Weymouth which was a popular holiday resort, which you could get to by train .

I lived in Weymouth as a child, the train used to reach the station at the north of the town, and then travel through the streets preceded by a man with a flag until it reached the harbour when people would board ferries to France and the Channel Islands. There was then a bridge across Portland harbour which would take passengers on to the Isle of Portland.

It is certainly a very spectacular stretch of coastline
                                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X