Project for New Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project for New Year

To check the cemetaries where close rellies are buried.

Went today to where my parents and sister are buried and found they had gone mad with the headstones. In one section about 80% have been declared dangerous and have been attached to a stake with a notice to contact the cemetary office.

Luckily mine was ok but I wonder how much time is going to be given to relatives to sort them out and what will happen if no-one comes to visit in time. The cemetary office doesn't hold contact details.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

My Step dad has had the same problem with the grave of his Mother/Stepfather & son. He went to put his usual Christmas wreath on the grave and found a notice declaring it dangerous. He could see no problem with it himself. He checked the other graves around it and they all had notices on. He found the man in the office and asked why its got the notice on. He got one of the men to go with to show him the problem. The bloke apparently bashed the headstone as hard as he could from behind and it wobbled slightly. My step dad was absolutely furious as the way he did it would be breaking the seal. If this is the way they are testing them then it is just pure vandalism by the people working in the cemetries. I have not yet heard the result of his complaints.

Comment

Mine are all cremated, so I don't have that problem to worry about, anyway.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Blooming health and safety!!!

At the older part of the cemetary where there are enormous monuments - most seem to have flattened - not sure who by - but there were no stakes in that section.

My section is about 60 years old and the whole cemetary is now closed for new graves so perhaps they're preparing it for re-use sometime in the future.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

One squashed child in Harrogate a few years ago now. Insurance not available. If you are looking for gravestones then as JBee says, plan your trip for this coming year.

Comment

The church my parents and grandparents married in, and its graveyard where my great grandparents are buried is now a redundant church in private hands, so I cannot visit. (St Mary the Virgin, East Wittering, Sussex)

Comment

In my local cemetery, which open in about 1875, a lot of the oldest and biggest are still standing - mostly, I think because they are too close together for the council to use their ride-on grass mower to cut the grass.

In the more open sections even comparitively recent graves have unsafe headstones - wrapped with yellow & black tape so that you can see them from half a mile away (very dignified!) I believe that they are hit by the mower.

In the newer section, the graves share a common plinth for the headstones to stand on. Hopefully they will last longer.

Helen
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

we went on Christmas Eve to lay a wreath at OH's parents' grave. It is comparitively recent, as in about 15 years. It had a notice on saying it was dangerous. OH is 6'2" and 15 stone. It took him all his time to wobble it. If some toerag interferes with it and it falls over and he/she gets injured then more fool them I say, and they deserve any injuries. We removed the sign

The same thing happend a couple of years ago and we went up and put some fresh mortar on. Will probably do the same again but this is H and S gone mad.:(
                Rose

Comment

Working...
                X