Ancestry Renewal / S&N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Renewal / S&N

I am due to renew Ancestry on the 27th December. Are there any special offers on please?

I was told originally that I could only have one bite at the cherry but have come across people in the past who have been able to negoicate more.

Does anyone have experience of S&N who offer a similar product quite a lot cheaper. I am not certain if one can see images in the same format or if it is just an index.

Happy Christmas and many thanks everyone for your support.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret, the S & N site (The Genealogist) does have census images if I remember correctly, and I'm not sure if all their census indexes are complete yet. The last time I used their site it seemed to me that their census search was less flexible than ancestry's - for instance, it would automatically add +- 5 years to the person's age which was very annoying if you were looking for a baby with a common name! I think you can buy some credits on their site to try it out and see what you think before committing to a full sub.

One thing that you do have to bear in mind with the S & N site is that they take a dim view of people doing lookups for others, and they have been known to look out for people doing "too many" lookups and trying to charge them extra for it or cancelling their membership. Another one is that if you take out an annual sub with them you are supposed to give them notice if you don't want to renew it or they will start chasing you for a renewal.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you are on automatic renewal, cancel your membership.when its cancelled go into ancestry with your password, and start to rejoin then cancel halfway through, then a pop up box comes up offering you a 20% discount.
      this happens on ancestry.co.uk

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Margaret

I recently got an Ancestry sub (uk) for £54, by haggling on the phone.

Try ringing them late in the day as I have a (totally unfounded!) theory that they act like insurance companies - if they have not filled the day's quota, you will get a bargain.

OC

Comment

Great replies thank you to everyone. I can do without the problems that could arise from S&N so very good information KiteRunner.
          I will not renew until I need to use it again about end of January 2008 no point paying for a month that I am unable to use. I paid up in 2007 and due to unforseen circumstances probably only used it twice. Swings and Roundabouts I think they call it.
          Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I've taken up special free credits from S & N in the past and found them very quickly used up. I haven't found their site easy to use, and Ancestry (for all its mistranscriptions) is I think invaluable for a family historian. It has all the available censuses including images; Pallot's baptism & marriage indexes - good for London, covers other areas and often has the only reference to an event obtainable anywhere; bmd indexes; WW1 records and so much more. In the time I've been a subscriber it has added many new databases and I couldn't have done without it.

OK, commercial over!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Little Nell,
              Thank you for your reply and I agree Ancestry is useful even if it is not used alot.
              Next Question - Ancestry offer an Enhanced Viewer. I have tried to download it manytimes and it tells me that it is installed. If I go off site and come back I get a message box that says: that it has not been installed due to a problem - with the option to try again. I am now able to go on site without this message so presumme that it is safely installed. All I have on my Desktop is the program icon and expected to see an icon for the viewer.
              Just to complicate things I wonder if it works with Vista had a thought that it may not.
              Any idea's please?
              Why can we not have one viewer that is compatible with every site - wouldn't it be easy.
              Margaret N

Comment

Working...
              X