Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on finding a marriage in Detroit,Michigan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on finding a marriage in Detroit,Michigan?

Does anyone have any tips on how I can locate a marriage which took place in Detroit, Michigan between 1920 and 1930?

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Have you already tried on FamilySearch and ancestry.com?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Tried them both, Ancestry has very little on Detroit.

George
      Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Hi George - just wondered whether you had tried the Michigan page in the Wiki - http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/Michigan

Cheers
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I have looked but cannot find what I want, I have looked at the Michigan Vital Records site, but their fees page is a bit confusing and does not clearly say how much it would cost to order a cert online and have it posted here.

Comment

Have a look at entries for Wayne County on USgenweb see if you have any luck there. Or try Random acts for a possible volunteer to go and find the info for you.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

HI George

Are you able to post the names of bride and groom or are they both still alive.

If still alive you can send me a personal message (PM)with their names and rough ages and I'll see what if anything I can find for you.
              WendyP

Comment

The Groom was Philip Scherer and the Bride - Margery Hetherington formerly Griffin.

They both died in the 40s and 50s.

George

Comment

I'm in the process of trying to get exactly that kind of record. There's a list of researchers on the Archives/Library site for Michigan.
                  MHAL - Michigan Genealogy Research Network

My grandfather, who died in 1967, married (if his entry in the 1930 census has any truth in it - which is open to doubt) in March 1930 in (probably) Detroit. I'm in contact with a researcher who's going to work on this for me - as soon as I sort out the best way to pay.

I did try contacting a website off the researcher list, but only ever got teh auto-responses form the site - no live contact from the researcher, even though the site talked of a fairly short turnaround.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

George

Have you been able to find this couple together or seperatley on any census anywhere?

If so can you post details of When and Where born for each individual.
                    WendyP

Comment

There is a member on this site called Fiona who lives in Michigan. She may be able to help.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In 1920 she appears with young son Chester as lodgers with Frank and Florence Denning in Detroit (she is down as Margery Hetherington and son Chester Hetherington

In 1930 she appears with husband Philip Scherer (transcribed as Seerer) in Detroit and son Chester.

George

Comment

Working...
                        X