German marriage certificate query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German marriage certificate query

Does anyone please know what information would be on a German marriage cert issued in Berlin during WW2 - in particular, whether it would include the details of the bride and groom's parents.

Also, has anyone any experience of obtaining one, please ?
    Joan died in July 2020.

Joan, I have one from Berlin from 1932, so not quite WW2, and the info it contains is:

Groom - occupation, full name, how he proved his identity, date and place of birth plus reference number of his birth registration, and full address where he was living.
    Bride - the same.
    Two witnesses - for each one there is occupation, full name, proof of identity, age and full address.

Date and place of marriage.

(This is the register office marriage cert and I believe there would also be a church one but I don't know what the difference would be.)

So, it doesn't give details of their parents unless, of course, the parents were witnesses (in the case of the cert I have, the bride's father was one of the witnesses, although it doesn't actually state their relationship), but since it gives the birth cert reference it should be possible then to get the birth cert to find out.

I'm afraid I can't help with advice on how to get the cert, because the one I have was in with my grandmother's stuff. I have heard that you have to provide proof that the people on the cert are your direct ancestors, i.e. copies of birth certs, marriage certs etc. to take your line back that far, if you want the register office to give you a copy of the cert. I don't know if it would be possible to get a copy of a church cert more easily?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for that information, Kite Runner. It was actually the parents' names that I was hoping to discover.

The bride at the time was, I believe, an inmate in Spandau Jail - so I guess the ceremony may have been in the prison chapel (?)

Thanks anyway
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I have one from the 19th century from Nuremberg which has much more info, including religion and parents' details. I suppose they must have changed the cert in between. I should think a WW2 one is more likely to be like the 1932 one, though.

One thing I find strange is that in amongst all that info they don't give previous marital status.

I did try googling around to see if I could find a site that said what info would be on a German birth cert, but I couldn't find any in English.

There is a site that has Berlin street directories on it from all different years, which I was looking through a few weeks ago. I don't suppose that would be any help, though? If you think it would then I will try to find the link to it..
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks again, Kite

And thanks for the offer - not sure it would help though, sadly. It's another of my family "skeleton in the cupboard" stories.

My mother's late sister was abducted from Sussex to Berlin before WW2 started, and made pro-Nazi radio broadcasts to England, which is why she ended up in Spandau Jail. I have no idea where she lived in Berlin before that, but have found out the name of her abductor, and am hoping to view the M15 file on him at Kew very soon.

Apparently he purported to have adopted her, and they regularly had dinner with Goebbels.

Thank you
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

oOH, that sounds really intriguing. Do keep us informed!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X