Does anyone know what these are for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what these are for?

It's not very clear in the picture, but the "blade" further from the camera has a right-angle cut out of it, which the nearer "blade" fits into when the "scissors" are closed. They are not made for cutting, but for creasing, or so it seems!

All my life I have been told they are for opening out the fingers on gloves after washing....it was only when we (mum and I) actually LOOKED at them last weekend that we realised poking the closed "blades" into a glove finger and "opening" them as far as possible was OK, but didn't explain this right-angled creasing bit!
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Merry,

I reckon you pretty much have the answer there, On some long gloves (the type that are used for evening wear, opera etc)

Some have a seam running down the fingers, perhaps this is what the creaser? is for?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hmmmm, Julie.....that's certainly an idea.

I'll try some more googling!

Comment

what size are they Merry ?

At first glance I thought of moustache curlers, but have never seen any with an angled 'thingie' :(
        and yours look like silver, so probably not for heating ....

Have you tried them on anything ? ... like soft kid leather or muslin (thinking of collars and cuffs now)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Having googled glove stretchers, none I have seen so far have crossed blades like scissors - they all have a rocker action, so the handles are apart when the blades are closed - as you squeeze the handles together the blades open.

Also the bit you would poke up the fingers on mine isn't really long enough..........
          Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 23-12-07, 12:23.

Comment

Are they hallmarked Merry??

do we know anyone that can "read" the marks?? if there are any?
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
              what size are they Merry ?

At first glance I thought of moustache curlers, but have never seen any with an angled 'thingie' :(
              and yours look like silver, so probably not for heating ....

Have you tried them on anything ? ... like soft kid leather or muslin (thinking of collars and cuffs now)

The blade bit is about 2 inches and the whole thing just over 6 inches.

They are not silver or silver plate. Probably bright nickle plate.

Comment

Having just been googling I dont think they are glove stretchers now...have a look.

Julie

Comment

And do give them a clean ! :D :D

My silver mark book went AWOL a couple of years ago, so can't help with that

sorry .... typing as you posted ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

And do give them a clean ! :D :D

I have lol!! The bits that look black are where the plate has come off :( They were completely black before!! (or nearly!)

Comment

Another thing that may not show very well in the photo is that the handles have a bend in them, enabling your fingers to go through the handles whilst the blades can still rest on a flat surface. Does that make sense? Suggests they would be used on something not especially flexible.......

Comment

Merry,

I was thinking along the same lines as Bob, they appear to be "ladies" and would have looked nice on the dresser................and if the handles are upwards - would this be because they were heated when used ??? :D

Jacky xx
                        Jacky

Comment

I have a few moustache curlers and hair curlers ... various sizes ... but these all have round 'tongs' ..
                          One small pair has silver handles and ordinary blades/tongs .... so they could be heated ... but none of mine has the bits for the finger and thumb to go through

Comment

Originally posted by english bob
                            ...Hello Merry, I shouldn't really know this , but they are vintage hair crimping scissors. I have seen them occasionally at auction and on e bay.

regards, Bob

Really??

Another thing.....the backs of the blades are 100% flat, suggesting (along with the curved handles) that whatever you wanted to make a 90 degree crease in was tight up against a flat/hard surface.

Comment

I'm still thinking about cuffs and collars ....
                              they appear to have pointed ends, but do not look particularly tapered :(

Comment

I'm still thinking about cuffs and collars ....
                                they appear to have pointed ends, but do not look particularly tapered :(

They are pointy but not sharp and not very tapered.

Have to pop out for a bit now!

Comment

I think Bob may be right

Google Image Result for http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/3001311100618080_1.jpg
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Yes, me too .... think Bob's got it .... erm ... not sure again now ... think I'll go ...

They'd make a nice Christmas present

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 23-12-07, 14:27.

Comment

I still don't think these are for hair.

It doesn't make sense .....the curve in the handles is unnecessary if you are dealing with hair, and you would only be making one 90 degree bend in the hair of under 2 inches in length. Also I don't think their are suitable to be heatedb but if they were, then the back being completely flat would be a waste of time as you would burn your scalp!!

The pair on ebay look like a crimping tool and these just don't!

(totally happy to be corrected though!....I'm just stating my opinion! lol)

Comment

I've been doing some experiments and have discovered that one blade has probably been sharpened in the past:

The edge marked with a wobbly arrow (lol) shows signs of being sharpened in the past. When the blades are closed this blade is under the narrower one and is about 1mm above the flat back of the "scissors".

Imagine yourself cutting the tufts to make velvet fabric and you could imagine them being used for that, though it would be 100% impossible to get the surface flat and even all over. Could also be used for de-pilling your jumpers! lol
                                        Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Comment

Working...
                                        X