PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what these are for?

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 11:48

It's not very clear in the picture, but the "blade" further from the camera has a right-angle cut out of it, which the nearer "blade" fits into when the "scissors" are closed. They are not made for cutting, but for creasing, or so it seems!

All my life I have been told they are for opening out the fingers on gloves after washing....it was only when we (mum and I) actually LOOKED at them last weekend that we realised poking the closed "blades" into a glove finger and "opening" them as far as possible was OK, but didn't explain this right-angled creasing bit!

Darksecretz
23-12-07, 12:07
Merry,

I reckon you pretty much have the answer there, On some long gloves (the type that are used for evening wear, opera etc)

Some have a seam running down the fingers, perhaps this is what the creaser? is for?

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 12:10
Hmmmm, Julie.....that's certainly an idea.

I'll try some more googling!

Rachel Scand
23-12-07, 12:15
what size are they Merry ?

At first glance I thought of moustache curlers, but have never seen any with an angled 'thingie' :(
and yours look like silver, so probably not for heating ....

Have you tried them on anything ? ... like soft kid leather or muslin (thinking of collars and cuffs now)

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 12:16
Having googled glove stretchers, none I have seen so far have crossed blades like scissors - they all have a rocker action, so the handles are apart when the blades are closed - as you squeeze the handles together the blades open.

Also the bit you would poke up the fingers on mine isn't really long enough..........

Darksecretz
23-12-07, 12:20
Are they hallmarked Merry??

do we know anyone that can "read" the marks?? if there are any?

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 12:23
what size are they Merry ?

At first glance I thought of moustache curlers, but have never seen any with an angled 'thingie' :(
and yours look like silver, so probably not for heating ....

Have you tried them on anything ? ... like soft kid leather or muslin (thinking of collars and cuffs now)

The blade bit is about 2 inches and the whole thing just over 6 inches.

They are not silver or silver plate. Probably bright nickle plate.

Darksecretz
23-12-07, 12:25
Having just been googling I dont think they are glove stretchers now...have a look.

http://www.glamorganantiques.co.uk/jw37.jpg

Rachel Scand
23-12-07, 12:25
And do give them a clean ! :D :D

My silver mark book went AWOL a couple of years ago, so can't help with that

sorry .... typing as you posted ....

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 12:32
And do give them a clean ! :D :D

I have lol!! The bits that look black are where the plate has come off :( They were completely black before!! (or nearly!)

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 12:47
Another thing that may not show very well in the photo is that the handles have a bend in them, enabling your fingers to go through the handles whilst the blades can still rest on a flat surface. Does that make sense? Suggests they would be used on something not especially flexible.......

Tilly Mint
23-12-07, 12:56
Merry,

I was thinking along the same lines as Bob, they appear to be "ladies" and would have looked nice on the dresser................and if the handles are upwards - would this be because they were heated when used ??? :D

Jacky xx

Rachel Scand
23-12-07, 13:10
I have a few moustache curlers and hair curlers ... various sizes ... but these all have round 'tongs' ..
One small pair has silver handles and ordinary blades/tongs .... so they could be heated ... but none of mine has the bits for the finger and thumb to go through

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 13:17
...Hello Merry, I shouldn't really know this , but they are vintage hair crimping scissors. I have seen them occasionally at auction and on e bay.

regards, Bob

Really??

Another thing.....the backs of the blades are 100% flat, suggesting (along with the curved handles) that whatever you wanted to make a 90 degree crease in was tight up against a flat/hard surface.

Rachel Scand
23-12-07, 13:27
I'm still thinking about cuffs and collars ....
they appear to have pointed ends, but do not look particularly tapered :confused: :(

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 13:32
I'm still thinking about cuffs and collars ....
they appear to have pointed ends, but do not look particularly tapered :confused: :(

They are pointy but not sharp and not very tapered.

Have to pop out for a bit now!

samesizedfeet
23-12-07, 14:09
I think Bob may be right

Google Image Result for http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/3001311100618080_1.jpg (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/3001311100618080_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://search.ebay.com/crimping-iron_W0QQfclZ3&h=53&w=80&sz=2&hl=en&start=54&um=1&tbnid=yPNdvZoQjvGArM:&tbnh=49&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dantique%2Bhair%2Bcrimpers%26start%3D4 0%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cl ient%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)

Rachel Scand
23-12-07, 14:14
Yes, me too .... think Bob's got it :) .... erm ... not sure again now ... think I'll go ...

They'd make a nice Christmas present :)

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 14:52
I still don't think these are for hair.

It doesn't make sense .....the curve in the handles is unnecessary if you are dealing with hair, and you would only be making one 90 degree bend in the hair of under 2 inches in length. Also I don't think their are suitable to be heatedb but if they were, then the back being completely flat would be a waste of time as you would burn your scalp!!

The pair on ebay look like a crimping tool and these just don't!

(totally happy to be corrected though!....I'm just stating my opinion! lol)

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 15:04
I've been doing some experiments and have discovered that one blade has probably been sharpened in the past:

The edge marked with a wobbly arrow (lol) shows signs of being sharpened in the past. When the blades are closed this blade is under the narrower one and is about 1mm above the flat back of the "scissors".

Imagine yourself cutting the tufts to make velvet fabric and you could imagine them being used for that, though it would be 100% impossible to get the surface flat and even all over. Could also be used for de-pilling your jumpers! lol

vikki brace
23-12-07, 15:43
I'm not sure, but i'd go for something to do with Collars (maybe to crease in the wingtip), they don't look long enough for any other type of material.

I don't think they are for hair because of the right angle......... I thought crimpers and curlers had rounded edges and were designed to be heated, yours look too decrotive for that.

I could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.......

try popping into your local auction house in the new year and asking them, worth a try

brenmac
23-12-07, 17:02
first ones look like grape scissers my employer has some simular brenda xxx

brenmac
23-12-07, 17:06
Having just been googling I dont think they are glove stretchers now...have a look.

http://www.glamorganantiques.co.uk/jw37.jpg
no cant be as merries has a point on the end of one,brenda xxx

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 17:33
first ones look like grape scissers my employer has some simular brenda xxx

Blimey bren!!

What does everyone else think?? Why do they need to be that shape?

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 17:34
Please don't liken me to your employer though bren!!! pmsl!

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 17:37
I've looked at a load more pics now and I'm convinced I am the proud owner of a pair of grape scissors! lolol

Can anyone explain why they need to be that shape?

Pippa Doll
23-12-07, 18:15
So do you cut the grapes or the stalks with them? I hope to see pictures of Merry demonstrating how to use them...

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 18:25
Pippa, I think you genteelly cut a small bunch from the large bunch on your table, as a personal serving!

No wonder no one on this site knew what they were!! :rolleyes: (well except bren)

brenmac
23-12-07, 19:02
you cut peitite bunches for your guest brenda xxx

brenmac
23-12-07, 19:03
have you seen candle snuffers too and a lot more gadgets lol brenda xxx

Jill on the A272
23-12-07, 21:16
I expect the owners were also impressing their guests with grapes from their own hothouses.

chrisglo
23-12-07, 22:28
could they be for crimping the hair? 1920s--marcel wave?
just a thought,
Chris.

chrisglo
23-12-07, 22:31
oopps! just read other threads who suggested hair crimpers!!

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 22:42
I expect the owners were also impressing their guests with grapes from their own hothouses.

I'm not sure they were grand enough for that.

The rellies this came from suffered what I like to call "genteel poverty". Hubby died aged 30 in 1855 and the money he left - about £500 - had to keep his widow for 40 years and two spinster daughters for over 80 years!! They all considered themselves too grand to work but the money wasn't enough to keep them. They used to send begging letters to my grandfather and if he sent them some money they would send a box of Victoriana, which, at the time, my grandparents would moan about!

samesizedfeet
23-12-07, 22:50
*stunned*

Merry, you remember him moaning then? pre-1935?

*adds Merry's face cream to Santa list*

Merry Monty Montgomery
23-12-07, 22:58
pmsl!

My mum tells me he moaned (well, my gran moaned......it was her speciality!)

Dead Rellies
23-12-07, 23:01
When i first saw them i thought candle wick sissors ??

Dead Rellies
23-12-07, 23:02
I am pretty sure i am right, hence the 90% angle.

Olde Crone Holden
23-12-07, 23:46
Grape scissors, absolutely and definitely.

They fit perfectly with genteel poverty, along with table crumb brushes, moustache cups and egg coddlers.

They are a sign that you know what's what, in the table manners department (grape scissors, not moustache cups).

The Lady of the House would arm herself with them and go into the hothouse, where she would ask Grubbins the Head Gardener, which grapes were ready. He would point them out and Madame would gently snip them from the vine.

The scissors would be polished up for the table of course, and at a grand banquet, every fourth table setting would have grape scissors laid at the cheese course.

(See, I knew my waitressing at the Strand Palace Hotel would pay off some day!)

Um....I also have some grape scissors AND some glove stretchers AND some goffering scissors.

OC

Lyn A
23-12-07, 23:52
Um....I also have some grape scissors AND some glove stretchers AND some goffering scissors.

OC

Good grief OC!! Never imagined you being a frilly sort of person!!! LOL! :D

Rachel Scand
23-12-07, 23:59
Of course ! Grape scissors

just google and there they are ... almost identical

Dead Rellies
24-12-07, 00:19
I have seen them on the antiques roadshow. Not that pair !!

WICK SISSORS !!

Lyn A
24-12-07, 01:23
I have seen them on the antiques roadshow. Not that pair !!

WICK SISSORS !!

Nah! These are Wick Scissors!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Nguwa/538818248_d0a2739499.jpg

Dead Rellies
24-12-07, 02:10
no they are definatly, but it is up to you what you want to think.

brenmac
24-12-07, 11:23
Nah! These are Wick Scissors!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Nguwa/538818248_d0a2739499.jpg

candles snuffers posative brenda xxx

Merry Monty Montgomery
24-12-07, 11:56
Here are the owners of the scissors (the three to the left) in about 1892.

The two sisters were still wearing their Victorian clothes in the 1920's!

samesizedfeet
24-12-07, 13:10
I want to know what goffering scissors are for..........

Lyn A
24-12-07, 13:12
I want to know what goffering scissors are for..........

For pressing frills so that they sit right!!;)

samesizedfeet
24-12-07, 13:13
aaaah - see I don't really do frills so I don't have a pair

I imagine most of you do though

Lyn A
24-12-07, 13:16
Nah...not into frills myself!! LOL!!

Rachel Scand
24-12-07, 13:18
They're for doing your frilly bits

Irons (http://a-day-in-the-life.powys.org.uk/eng/home/eo_irons.php)

oops ... late again !

Pippa Doll
24-12-07, 16:26
My Mum knew that they were grape scissors and how to use them. I asked her to log in here more often to offer advice but she says she only reads the serious bits of this forum:(

Merry Monty Montgomery
24-12-07, 18:20
she only reads the serious bits of this forum:(

This IS a serious bit :(:( :)

Olde Crone Holden
24-12-07, 23:36
Duh, I meant goffering IRONS - look like glove stretchers or curling tongs, but much thinner, and round, blunt pointed end blades, phew!

You stick them into boiling water, wipe them, insert them right into a frill and then use a small goffering iron, heated on the fire, to persuade the frill into shape. The well equipped Victorian laundress would have had dozens of these in all different sizes and thicknesses to suit every type of frill.

Wick scissors have a utilitarian purpose and are rarely elaborate, because they are for the use of servants. The little box thingy attached gives the game away - it is for catching the used up bits of wick that you cut off.

OC

brenmac
25-12-07, 13:04
my employer has a lovely set of silver one,s,they still use as i clean them,and the grape scissors,brenda xxx

Olde Crone Holden
27-12-07, 00:33
Ha HA, Bren, I KNEW your employers weren't top drawer, lol!

They trim their own wicks, lol, and think that's ok because they have silver ones!!!

OC

brenmac
27-12-07, 11:55
i washed them today,i would have photographed them if they were not there to show you,they used the candlearbras i cleaned before xmas.and the grape scissors.i cant wait to go i have had enough,brenda xxxrenda xxx

frostbarter
28-12-07, 23:18
Hi Merry,

This is a bit of a shot in the dark but do you think they could be a candle snuffer and wick trimmer.

Barbara

frostbarter
28-12-07, 23:20
I don't know where the last post went lol.

Merry do you think they could be a candle snuffer and wick trimmer. Just a shot in the dark lol.

Barbara

Merry Monty Montgomery
29-12-07, 00:24
I don't think so Barbara. I have been pursuaded 100% they are grape scissors.

BTW I can see both your posts!! :)

frostbarter
29-12-07, 21:14
hi merry,

laughing my head of here, I only read the first page missed all the others and I am completely sober.

Barbara