Lincolnshire search please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincolnshire search please ?

This is for a friend of mine who doesn't have access to the internet and not a clue where to start.
    She's looking for any info on name removed as may still be alive, b.April 9th 1923 Baumber Lincs.
    and worked at Hemingby Mill before becoming a corporal in the catering section but not a clue which regiment.
    In 1945 (around May 8th) there was an article in the Horncastle News about him and prior to that there was a write up in the Old Lincolnshire Chronicle (or Echo)
    Sorry its all a bit vague but this chap has only just come to light it seems and my friend is desparate to know more..........did he marry, is he alive or dead ?
    I've looked on freebmd and found nothing due to the dates.
    If anyone can help I know she'll be really grateful
    Thanks
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 21-12-07, 23:41. Reason: details of person who may still be living

There are some references to name removed, at different times, in the London Gazette: 1929-31, 1978, 1987, 1996 (I chose range 1923-2000).

Might be worth a look on: Advanced Search

Christine
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 21-12-07, 23:41.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine.I'll have a look

Comment

Other suggestions include googling, Times Digital Archive, A2A and Documents Online... not that I've found anything in any of those myself (I've looked in all but TDA).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I did think about those Christine............might have a look when I've got some more time.

Comment

Born 1923 he could still be alive. Maybe a letter to the local newspaper might find someone still in contact with him, or who at least knew which regiment he joined.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You say he became a corporal in the catering section, I think that would mean he joined the Army Catering Corps, as I understand it all catering staff belonged to it and were then attached to a regiment. My father was ACC and was even attached to an American regiment for a time during WW2
              Mavis
              Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

How do I find which regiment he was in Mavis? It's a bit of a poser this one

Comment

If you know roughly when the news articles where (and assuming they mention the army career) then i would suggest sending n e-mail to Lincoln Central Library.

I have done this several times and they send copies of the newspaper articles in a week or so (xmas might throw it out a bit though) for 60p plus p&p per copy. They can send them with an invoice so payment is not needed in advance and they don't charge for the searches either.
                  Also worth asking is for an image search (the library holds over 7000 indexed images of people and places connected to the county).
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Mary, the ACC is what he was in, he could have been attached to one regiment or to a place (like an officers training) and served who ever was there at the time.
                    You could try this site:
                    home
                    Mavis
                    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Thanks Mavis. I'll have a look at that one.

Glen.............I know the date of the newspaper article but the lady concerned says she's been to the library and had no luck. Mind you it's the first time she's ever done anything like this so she may well have asked for the wrong paper or something.
                      I'll try the local newspaper website, maybe e mail them and see what happens.

Many thanks

Comment

If you know the paper and the date, is it worth trying Colindale? - before the newspaper archive moves, or whatever it is that's planned. They have an online catalogue.

C

Comment

Lincoln library have films of all the county and major town publications, i looked for a couple of bits myself one day and having the date is a great help even if the exact publication title isn't known.

The first titles to check should always be the (countywide) Lincolnshire Echo and Chronicle followed by the local papers.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for all your help.Never heard of Colindale - who are they ?

Have mentioned the library but from what I've been told the lady concerned tried it and got nowhere but as she's very new to all this she may have asked for the wrong thing or got confused.

I can't get in touch with her now till after Christmas so I'll have a word with her then.

Once again many thanks

Comment

Colindale is the national archives for the newspapers.

Visiting the British Library at Colindale

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks Glen. That could be useful

Comment

Working...
                                X