Marriage quandary - Richard Gough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage quandary - Richard Gough

I'm trying to nail down who my 4xG grandfather married. According to IGI she is Ann but the question is Ann what?

Richard is Richard Drope Gough b1754 in Souldern Oxfordshire d1818 aged 64 and is buried in St Mary's Souldern.

Also buried in St Mary's Souldern is another Richard Drope Gough b1780/1 d1839 aged 58 - I have no proof (yet) that this RDG is the son of the above. (This was from fhonline)

Richard and Ann according to IGI had 10 children all baptised in Souldern starting in 1783 with Mary and finishing with Louisa in 1799. Sometimes he (the father) is R D Gough and sometimes he is Richard or variations.

However Richard the child doesn't seem to appear at Souldern but there is a Richard Gough baptised on 1/10/1780 in Mainstone Shropshire with parents Richard and Ann. This would fit with the marriage of Ann Meyrick and Richard Gough on 26/4/1779 in Mainstone Shropshire (again IGI).

However the waters then become a bit muddy as there are further baptisms in Mainstone with Richard and Ann as parents starting with another Richard in 1788 and ending with Thomas in 1800.

I suppose after this long ramble everybody is thoroughly confused but what i'm really trying to ask is how can I confirm or dismiss Ann Meyrick as being my 4x G grandmother?

Off to sing carols on the stairs now (a lovely tradition at work) back later.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Hi Bo

I checked on BIVRI and there's no marriage for Richard Gough to Ann in Oxfordshire, and none in the right time frame anywhere else in the country. Perhaps that narrows the search a bit, sorry I can't be more help!

I hope you enjoyed the carols - I'm off to the airport soon to pick up my daughter and her family, it's my grand daughter's first Christmas and I'm going to spoil her rotten!!
    Sue

Comment

If you can get a look at the Mainstone burial register then you could look to see if the first Richard baptised there (1780) died before the 1788 one, in which case he couldn't be the same one who was buried at Souldern.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'd got the wrong one! :o

Ann Lyndon is lady I needed and she married Richard Gough on 6/11/1777 in Southam Warwickshire

Richard Drope Gough buried in Souldern in 1839 is her eldest son but I still need to find his christening which will be sometime between 1777 and 1785.
        Bo

Comment

I googled and, apart from this thread, there were a couple of other hits:

RootsWeb: PIGGOTT-L Re: [PIGGOTT] Gillory PIGGOT, Esq., 1786 (where Richard Drope Gough does get a brief mention)

and
          A Collection of the Public General ... - Google Book Search
          where the name shows up in Google Books hit as a Land Tax Commissioner in 1836.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks everybody - I forgot the second or third rule of research - Google! - and the national archives. It appears I've found my first bankrupt!
            Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
              It appears I've found my first bankrupt!
              Join the club :D

You should find all the gory details in the London Gazette.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X