Can anyone tell me how the names work in Scotland
    My family have these names all in one family

Parents John Murray & Penelope Cuthbertson
    Children
    Helen Cuthbertson Murray
    John Cuthbertson Murray
    Agnes McLeod Marray
    Janet Cunningham Murray
    I can see where the middle name Of Cuthbertson comes in but not the others.
    Neither set of grandparents have these names

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
    Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

The only thing I know is that children often have their mothers maiden name as a middle name

Comment

This link gives a good explanation

Scottish Naming Patterns

Comment

Unfotunately they weren't in some cases with OH's lot. James and Margaret are common on both sides of the family so it would be difficult to see how it follows the rules.

Also

One family named all their children after the father's family and even his step mothers and none after his wife's.

I believe there is a difference between scottish and irish naming patterns - does anyone know if that's right?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

All my Scottish lot, right up to the living generation, have weird and wonderful names.

In one case, it was SIX generations back before I discovered why a living relative has the middle name of Charles Smith!

I am absolutely amazed that how this side of my family, none of whom have the slightest interest in family history, can remember family names from six generations ago. But it does provide very helpful clues when researching.

OC

Comment

Going from my lot.........I'd say McLeod and Cunningham are the grandmothers' maiden names.

Most of my lot only married those who were already family (explains a lot... lol)
            so they all had the sdame names. I get excited when I find a new second name.

Comment

Sorry just saw the bit about the grandparents....................

Comment

Pity mine didn't know the rules, lol.

I am wrestling with a father and son, both called George. Father George is still having children whilst son George is having children - and son George has named all his children after his siblings EXCEPT for one child who is "out of order".

When I pondered it, I realised that Robert, who should have been ninth, not seventh, lol, had the same birth date (20 years apart) as his uncle Robert.

Still with me? No, I'm not surprised.....this is the man who married Jean Bruce, and is on the 1841 with his wife AND a woman of the same age as his wife, who is called Jean Bruce...

OC

Comment

OC....do you mean that Jean is still using her maiden name?

The rest I get.............you can tell how many of my lot come from North of the Border lol.

I have a few women who used their maiden names all their life and they were married. I have the PRs. I have one letter written by Isabell Grant who had been married to Robert Gordon for over 20 years.

AND.................this is not the lot who named all their daughters Isabell Gordon Grant and all their sons Robert Gordon Grant.................You reckon you've got problems.

Comment

One generation of OH's rellies all have different surname middle names which I couldn't fathom out.

During recent research in Edinburgh it turns out these rellies had aunts and an uncle married to people with these surnames.

Well I've found a few of the marriages so am assuming (very bad) that the ones I haven't found account for the other names.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

MIL's middle name was her great-grandmother's maiden surname. It also appears as a middle name in intervening generations. I only found this out when we were discussing her funeral with the minister.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

One of mine had four wives. The third wife was largely responsible to bringing up the various offspring and her maiden name pops up with monotonous regularity among the daughters of three separate lines of the family, the much-married family patriarch passing his name down to the male descendants.

Very handy, because every time I encounter a Boag or a Hooks, I can be almost certain they tie in somewhere.

Beverley

Comment

I was begining to understand
                          My great Grandfather Frederick Paterson married Helen Cuthbertson Murray, 1891 census they are staying as Son In Law and daughter with Agnes Mcleod- ???? his mother in laws sister was Agnes McLeod Murray (see original post) All ages birthplaces match as well

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
                          Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

Working...
                          X