Wireless Router question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router question please

well I am very proud of myself managed to set it up okay but ??
    I understood this would enable me to use another PC on it so why did it ask which type of adaptor I had ?? I dont have any do I have to get one ??????thanks.

Val you only need an adapter if your pc doesn't have a built in one but if your 1st pc is working ok then you will be able to add a second one.
    You may need your WEP key to enable it.
    Kathleen

Comment

Yeah good on you girl ,,,told you it was easy , didnt I ;;;
      knew you could do it ;;;;
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Kath is that right ??? it did say WEP enabled and gave me something to print off for when I add one thanks
        Babs I am haaaaaaaappy
        Now do I have to have the laptop connected to anything when I add it to my wireless ???

Comment

Val I dont understand it all - but do put a security password on there. When eldest son was home last time, he brought his lap top with him and sat in the kitchen to do some work and he showed me that 3 different signals were being picked up by his lap top - including NFH's!!

Comment

No it doesn't need to be connected to anything Val, it should find your router and ask you to enter the WEP key - when it connects you should be able to see the little monitor with green rays icon bottom right.
            Kathleen

Comment

Heather my neighbour told me that he can see when I am online but I dont think they would be able to connect to my broadband without the WEP key.

When my grandaughter brought her laptop she was able to connect to mine but only after we entered the key
              Kathleen

Comment

Heather I was wondering about that thanks
                Kathleen well here I go then hope it works thanks

Comment

Heather my neighbour told me that he can see when I am online but I dont think they would be able to connect to my broadband without the WEP key.

When my grandaughter brought her laptop she was able to connect to mine but only after we entered the key on her laptop.
                  Kathleen

Comment

Sorry about the repetition here - the cat jumped on my mouse before I had finished and I didn't realise it had submitted
                    Kathleen

Comment

You will be able to see the signal from your neighbours and they see you, BUT, you can't see what they are doing if the network is security enabled. You need the network key (password).

Comment

I am going to use one dont worry thanks Margaret

Comment

I am a bit confused do I plug my laptop into the mains power and thats it?? no USB ports to plug into
                          Going to bed now but hopefully somebody can tell me tomorrow

Comment

Val

Does your laptop have a wireless network card ?

Clare

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              I am a bit confused do I plug my laptop into the mains power and thats it?? no USB ports to plug into

Val

You can use a laptop either on mains or battery, charge your battery first of course.

Is it wireless enabled?

If so, just log into IE or whatever your browser is and log into the internet.

Are you sure you have no usb points?

Mine has 2 at the side and 2 at the back.

Comment

Clare I know you have gone now but thanks for trying to help I dont know if it has one !!!
                                Margaret mine does have a USB port but not sure do I have to plug a cable into it then

Comment

Val

What's the make of your Laptop ?

Clare

Comment

hi its a intel advent
                                    have managed to get the wireless on but cannot get the internet connection it keeps asking me the same questions

Comment

Val

On your laptop is the icon in the bottom right corner showing that you are connected?
                                      Kathleen

Comment

sorry been away again I managed to get my talktalk installed on it but I still cannot access the internet HELP what am I doing wrong
                                        The light you mention is flashing

Comment

Working...
                                        X