Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice please - is this a solid brick wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice please - is this a solid brick wall?

This one may be impossible, but I'd welcome suggestions for where I might find an answer or two.

I'm trying to work out how to find a maiden name for Elizabeth Copley (married name), abt 1791

Facts:

In 1841 she's married to William Copley and living in Tankersley, Yorkshire. there are 7 children with them, the youngest is Elizabeth abt 1837, and the oldest is Edward abt 1821. From later censuses I think Edward was born in Wortley, Yorkshire.

by 1851 Elizabeth is a widow, her place of birth would appear to be Wicklow, Ireland if you look at the actual image.

in 1861 pob is just given as Ireland.

1841 HO107; Piece 1325; Book: 16; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 26; Page: 2;
    1851 HO107; Piece: 2334; Folio: 464; Page: 2
    1861 RG9; Piece: 3456; Folio: 50; Page: 21

I can't see a suitable birth for the daughter Elizabeth on FreeBMD, so have a feeling she was born pre-reg., and I can only see submitted entries on the IGI.

Can anyone suggest where to look next please - or is this one really a lost cause.

Thanks
    Barbara

Assuming that the censuses give Elizabeth junior's place of birth, then I would suggest looking at the parish registers for that place to find her baptism and confirm that her mother was Elizabeth (just in case Elizabeth senior is a second wife). Then look at parish registers for the parents' marriage, but of course it might not be there!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oops, sorry, I misread your posting. Look at the parish register for Edward's baptism to make sure his mother was called Elizabeth, is what I should have said! Then look back through the register to see if he had any older brothers and sisters.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite

The possibility of Elizabeth being a second wife hadn't even occured to me:o.

As for daughter Elizabeth's pob - I only have her with the family in 1841, born Yorkshire, which isn't helping me much at the moment. My only hope is that the family stayed in the same place and the Wortley PR's have the relevant baptisms in them, as well as marriage for William/Elizabeth senior

So you're suggesting start with what/where I know and work backwards. Sounds reasonable to me.
        Barbara

Comment

Working...
        X