what can I do next please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can I do next please?

I have received a marriage cert today and thought from the information on it I would be able to find him on 1901 census but I am not having any luck in trying to find him. Any suggestions.
    I am looking for Walter Robert Stevens he was 21 in 1916 so born 1894 he married in Poplar London and his fathers name on the cert is also Walter Robert Stevens deceased, Merchant seaman.
    I have found Walter's discharge service record dated 29 oct 1915 it states his age as 21 yrs & 30 days and his mother is named as the next of kin and it is Margaret Cooper. I am assuming she remarried.
    I would really love to go back a further generation but at present not having any luck what do all you experienced peeps say I try next?
    GWEN

Not sure about this, but there's a Walter R Cooper, wife Margaret and son Walter A born abt 1893 in Kensington:
    RG13; Piece: 20; Folio: 137; Page: 50
    Last edited by Little Nell; 18-12-07, 21:09.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I would get his birth cert, so that I had his mother's maiden name & then look for his parents marriage.

Births: Walter Robert Stevens, Dec Qtr 1894, Poplar 1c / 699

Comment

This may not be the right lot, but if his dad died when he was little and Margaret had already remarried by 1901, then he might, as a child, be called by his stepfather's name - though you'd think it might still say stepson (or son-in-law)...
        RG13; Piece: 352; Folio: 128; Page: 8

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've found the same cert ref as Lynn and if he was born Poplar he can't be the chap born in Norfolk under surname Cooper.

Cannot find him in 1901 though - must be mistranscribed, or perhaps he and Mum were abroad?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Not sure about this, but there's a Walter R Cooper, wife Margaret and son Walter A born abt 1893 in Kensington:
            RG13; Piece: 20; Folio: 137; Page: 50
            In that case, was her maiden name Stevens?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Good thinking, but that doesn't tie up with his Poplar birth - assuming he didn't move between being born and getting married!

Comment

Thanks little nell will have a look at that but not sure it will be connected as I do know they lived at barchester road poplar as that is the address on his discharged papers. Also thanks lyn have the reference number for that birth/cert but was not sure if that was the right one. I think I will have to apply for it.
                Thanks to you both I am finding it frustrating as most of my research up until now has been on unusual names!!
                GWEN

Comment

The Cooper family Christine found, fits perfectly.

Comment

Walter Cooper William,
                    Margaret abt 1895 Poplar Son Poplar

Comment

And I can't find a marriage for Walter Stevens to Margaret ???? that fits.

Comment

Of course, there's always the risk that there weren't as many marriages as there should have been!

Christine

Comment

I am confused if the cooper Christine found is him why is he calling himself Stevens in 1916 on his marraige cert? I have to agree it does fit.
                          GWEN

Comment

I've looked most of the evening for a marriage Walter Stevens to a Margaret but no luck and I looked for a Margaret Stevens to a Cooper but no luck
                            GWEN

Comment

It could happen if Cooper was a stepfather. And if he were illegitimate, then he might replicate his own name for his "father" to avoid the embarrassment (shame) of owning up on such an occasion.

Christine

Comment

There's certainly a birth showing on FreeBMD for a Walter Robert STEVENS in Poplar in 1894 (Dec Q). That cert would give the parents' names.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                                  I've looked most of the evening for a marriage Walter Stevens to a Margaret but no luck and I looked for a Margaret Stevens to a Cooper but no luck

Same here, but I have a gut feeling that he is your lad.
                                  The birth cert should show if his mother was married.
                                  He may have been told later when he foud out that his name was really Stevens, that his father had died. I know that my dad was told that...he never knew that he was illegitmate!

As Christine said, he may have used his Stepfather's name in the early years or the enumerator just assumed and they never elaborated.

Comment

Or Walter Cooper may have been his dad, but the events weren't in the right order! There was one stage when you weren't able to re-register a child even if the parents married afterwards.

Comment

I thank you all for your help I am doing this family tree for my sister-in-law as a surprsie gift for her 50th birthday so most of the information I have has been passed on from my brother from his mother-in- law. But I just looked at my notes I made when he told me all the information and I have the name cooper/ foley written down with maiden name ? he was not sure where they fitted in. I am going to apply for the birth/cert for Walter Robert Stevens and see what it tells me.
                                      Thanks all once again.
                                      GWEN

Comment

Gwen, just wondering how you got on with the cert? Hope that we didn't send you on a wild goose chase.

Comment

Working...
                                        X