Please can anyone read this name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone read this name

Hoping that you can read the name below its for my gggg grandmother born c 1800 in Scotland
    Have to go to bed now, start work at 6:30 in the morning :(
    Will look in tomorrow

John Cuthbertson Farmer and Mary? ? Living
    Thanks
    Jacky

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
    Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Tried the old squint at it thing, and I suggest Hawkins.

Jen xx
    "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Comment

Jen's idea a good one - or HANKIN?

H/K a n/w k i n (s)... Hawkins or Hankin, I'd say.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My first thought was Hankin.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          My first thought was Hankin.
          Mine too.
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I think it is Hawkin(s).

Comment

My reason for favouring HANKIN, is that the other name has a comma between it and the associated occupation, and I think the bit that makes the last letter look like an s is actually a similar comma.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think its Hawkin and, like Christine says,the comma at the end is mistaken for an s.

Comment

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you all and think it says:

Mary ??? m.s. KIVER

OC

Comment

Looks like Mary MacKivor to me.

Hope it is, cos, I've got a couple of MacKivors.

Comment

Jacky,

If you have a rough idea of when/where they were married you might find the record on Scotlands People (presuming you haven't tried that already). Hopefully it may be a bit easier to read.
                      Cath.

Comment

Agree with Harry's mum, although I see "m.s" (maiden surname), but many of these Scottish certs missed off the Mac or Mc, taking them as read.

(Tip for searching early scottish records - add Mc or Mac in front of the name, or subtract it!)

OC

Comment

Thank you,
                          I cannot find Hankin, Hawkin, Mc Kiver, Kiver or MacKiver
                          The only ones on Scotlands people in the in the years I am looking for are - Mary Russell, Margaret Shields and Margaret Ferguson:(
                          Jacky

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
                          Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

Could be one of those marriages that isn't in the OPR's, of course. Or one of those marriages they had in Scotland where there was no actual marriage ceremony at all, I can't think of the name for it just now...
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Did they have any other children who were born in Scotland? If so then maybe the baptism / birth entries for those will be easier to read. Can you give us a bit more information - where and when was their child born, for instance? Do you have them on any censuses? Then we will know where to start looking to try to help, as it seems everybody has a different interpretation of the name in the image.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                              X