No announcement yet.

how do you work sideways and forwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you work sideways and forwards?

I'm only used to working backwards and confirming things along the way. Apart from noting down names and DOBs of sibs (unless they are kind enough to be with spouse and kids visiting parents on census night:p) I tend to concentrate on direct ancestors.

Now I've got some information about three names of 'mine' who are inter-married in one of 'my' villages but, apart from one address, they are not my direct ancestors but I feel sure they are part of my family.

So, how do I research them and fit them in with my lot? Preferably without having to buy certs at this stage.

*wonders if I should have started this thread, what with little Oliver being on at 8!*
    Rose

Would you be able to pin these other people down on the census?

Comment

I have found some just by checking FreeBMD for marriages then checking the next census. Works fairly well.

You then have to buy certs to confirm, but if you just want a farir idea, that'll give it.

I have used that system then gone to GR and checked anyone researching both family names. If you can connect the "new" name to some you have done properly, it gives you a bit more hope.

Good Luck

Libby.

Comment

I think they are a bit too recent Merry, I have three living Fosters (two boys and a girl who married a Fable/Fabel/Favel) who are all, apparently, around the age of 60. Their parents were Harold Foster and Renee Kelly who lived at 1 High Street Colsterworth. That is where my GG GF had his shop but by 1901 he was living elsewhere in Colsterworth and there are no house numbers listed on the census.
        Rose

Comment

Are we talking Smiths or Swanduggots? Common names will always be challenging,

for men, you can note every census ref and see if age, birthplace, occupation match up.

women are more challenging, but with a small village, you can search all the censuses for people with the right birthplace and then try to mtach them up (or work out how birthplace might be mistranscribed or heard.

For instance, I didn't know who Elvina Jarvis, born Brinton, Norfolk married, so I searched 1881 for females born in Brinton. Her name is mistranscribed on the actual census page, but she is there, living in York. And the marriage certificate confirms the hunch.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Libby, I think I have pinned down a marriage on bmd but then can't find them on a census.

I have a lady who is 93, her late husband was William Foster. He had two sisters 'who died young' (I think I have found one - Emily). Wm's parents were William Foster and he died in WWI, and Emma Clayton who died young. Her father was ARthur Clayton a Wheelwright. Now I would have expected Arthur to be on the 1901, 1891 but I can't find him.
            Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              Are we talking Swanduggots? .
              if only lol
              Rose

Comment

btw, the marriage I have found on BMD is Wm Foster and Emma Clayton March Q 1908
                Rose

Comment

I think probably my first step will be to take Phoenx's advice and find all the Fosters, Kellys and Claytons in Colsterworth on the 1901 and 1891. I signed up for a month especially for this challenge lol.
                  Rose

Comment

Everyone go and watch Oliver Twist now :D
                    Rose

Comment

I'll go and have breakfast instead. lol

Comment

Nah,

that kinda stuff dont really bother me...

where was Arthur born again and what yr Rose I forgot
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

To come back to the original question, I have any number of collateral lines in my tree. Some have been very helpful (teenage girls as servants in rellies' households, grandchildren being minded while parents are abroad). And some are just interesting (an extremely convoluted connection to Michael Faraday).
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry people, I haven't been ignoring you lol. Didn't come back after Olly last night and the boss has been making me do WORK this morning

Julie you didn't forget, I never said lol. Arthur Clayton was a wheelwright. Where he was born I don't know but MY Claytons were wheelwrights in Colsterworth and it was from someone in Colsterworth that I got this information about the folks mentioned in my earlier threads, all of which is unsubstantiated (if that's the right word lol).

My greatest desire is to get some photos of my ancestors, that's mainly why I am trying to tie these people in with mine. Oh, and I want to find out why GG GF Fred went to USA and came home within about 6 or 7 years. Not too much to ask surely:(:p.

Haven't had a chance to trawl through the Colsterworth censuses yet. Will do it when Benny has had his walk.
                            Rose

Comment

I did quickly look at the Arthur Claytons who were wheelwrights in 1881, 1891 and 1901, but none of them were from the right area or had a dau called Emma. :(

Comment

:(:( indeed, I'm wondering if he was known as Arthur but his name was actually something else. I have seen somewhere a Thomas and Sophie Clayton with a daughter Emma. I have a Thomas of a similar age - could be a cuz I guess.

Thanks for looking Merry
                                Rose

Comment

1891-Class: RG12; Piece: 2582; Folio 86; Page 1

Thomas and Sophia with son athur and daughter emma, in colsterworth.

that the one you meant Rose
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

yes, I think that was the one Julie.

Interesting that Emma had a brother Arthur, we all know how family names and facts can get all mixed and mashed!

Off now to do some trawling before starting tea.
                                    Rose

Comment

Working...
                                    X