Software for family tree building question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software for family tree building question

Which one is in most people's experience the better option?

xx

Maggie

The most popular one used by members is probably Family Tree Maker - but personally I would recommend the 2006 version rather than the 2008 version. The latter has only recently been released and does not offer as much as the 2006 version.

Legacy is another program widely used, as is PAF (Personal Ancestral File) - both can be downloaded free from the internet.

Family Tree Maker - available from TWR Computing (amongst other sites)
    Family Tree Maker 2006 Family Tree Maker 2008
    Cost 10.75 includes wide world postage

Legacy download
    Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software

PAF download
    FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you for that, I'm just about to invest money wise and time wise to get something that I can distribute to my family.

I have all the documentation and information - I know whats going on for sure but I need something that can get it together for everyone else to understand.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Personally I use PAF which cost nothing and has served me well for some years now.

There are a number of ways to print out information from the Tree, but for a really well laid out Tree you would probably need to speak to a firm like Genealogy Printers.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
          Thank you for that, I'm just about to invest money wise and time wise to get something that I can distribute to my family.

I have all the documentation and information - I know whats going on for sure but I need something that can get it together for everyone else to understand.

xx

Maggie
          I got the FTM 2006 for Christmas last year and found it makes a world of differnce to get all your info down in a program. If you get that prog you will find that you can create a homepage to the internet FREE and put all your stories into book form which you can link to your homepage. We will all be clamouring to have a look at it when you do lol.

BTW, I think this is the first time we have 'met'. WElcome to the site, hope you are enjoying it here.
          Rose

Comment

Hi Rosie,

I have a few Crittendens in my Tree who came from West Malling, Kent. No Bernard or Josephs though.
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Family Historian is the one I use. Its supposed to have the best diagrams of all. Also its British authored so less of those annoying bits that don't apply to British ancestors (less use if yours are all from the US of course)

There is an excellent user forum on the internet with demonstations of various techniques of the program. You can also download a demo version to try it out before you buy.

Best of all it works as a Gedcom file - you save it as such and so don't have to fiddle about converting it for export to other programs.

Anne

Comment

I think the nice thing about the FTM2006 is that you can do your homepage free and so easily and then your family can access it all from their own homes anywhere in the world - and you can continually update it with info and pictures. If you look at the advertising forum a bit down the board - Claire, who is a member here has a website selling ft programs - she did have a discount for members, dont know if thats still going?
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 18-12-07, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
                  Hi Rosie,

I have a few Crittendens in my Tree who came from West Malling, Kent. No Bernard or Josephs though.
                  evening Grampa Jim.

My Crittendens are husband and FIL of a non-direct and that's all I know of them lol. So no link there, then.

I will get a link to someone on here one day
                  Rose

Comment

Working...
                  X