does anyopne no please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyopne no please

i have an old photo and i was wondering if anybody knew what the uniform was we think he was a sargent going by the 3 stripes on his arm

many thanx

Gosh what a great photo!!

Usually stripes of rank are further up the arm (more towards the shoulder). Any stripes I've seen lower down the arm such as on this photo usually denote how many times a soldier has been wounded - but, I'm no expert on uniforms.

I would suggest you go to this website: The Long, Long Trail and join their forum (located on the right hand side - where it says 'Join Us') and post your photo there.

They are the real experts and will be able to tell you everything about your photo.

Thanks for posting it!!

Comment

thanx for that snow drop ive been looking for info on this guy for such a long time now and someone sent me this i am so hungry to find out more info lol

Comment

British Army Other Ranks rank insignia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

thanx pat ill take a look

Comment

was he in the raf im sure i can see something like wings on the arm brenda xxx

Comment

this guy was born in 1864 in sunderland

though we dont no much about him but i have found him on 1891 census in a london hospital as a patient (a lunatic) so what happened to him or where he was based we just cannot find anything about him lol

Comment

bob i thought that he was a sargent as well lol

Comment

its my new glasses,i had a brother in the raf in 1946,brenda xxx

Comment

it was also his cap my brothers was the same brenda xxx

Comment

Dot, this is a photo of someone also born in Sunderland (1884)...the uniforms look similar to me, unfortunately I haven't found out which service my chap was in , he's not on the medal roll list....could they be home guard or equivalent?
                      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

that is a lovely photo i have found a link hope this is of help to you

Model 1914 Other Ranks Issued Maternity tunic

Comment

Dot,

thanks for the link, it's very interesting, now that I look at it, the uniform looks quite different to the standard dress of the day.

Bob,

although I've done quite a bit of WW1 research, this chap had eluded me so far. He's Smith Stephenson Worthy, (b 1884 Middlesbrough) although all rest of family are from Southwick,Sunderland. He's definitely WW1, as I have a post card memento of all servicemen from Clockwell Street P.M. Church, Southwick 1914-1917, and this photo features. ( I've found his brother Cuthbert Surtees Worthy on the medal roll...Royal Garrison Artillery).

Dot....sorry to hijack your thread!
                          Last edited by Meridian Line; 20-12-07, 18:39. Reason: spelling
                          ~ Louise ~

Comment

Bob,

yes, he's Smith Stephenson Worthy.

(There is a Smith Worth on the medal roll, Suffolk Regiment, but I've found him on BMD, so it's not a transcription error.)

Having spent the last few months researching WW1, Royal Engineers, Royal Navy & the DLI, I'm delighted that Smith's uniform has been identified. I'm intrigued to know how & why a joiner from Sunderland, joined the RFC, not only that, but he survived the war & became a funeral director!!
                            ~ Louise ~

Comment

Bob,

many thanks, thats a good bit of detective work , I've managed to find a clearer website,

Royal Flying Corps Insignia

I wonder, if he was a mechanic, whether he wouldn't have been entitled to any medals, & thats why he's not on the roll?
                              ~ Louise ~

Comment

Bob,

sorry not to reply earlier & thank you for your efforts on my behalf. It must be a mis-transcription, it's very frustrating!!
                                ~ Louise ~

Comment

I think those stripes are for length of service, one two and three for different lengths of time.

Comment

Working...
                                  X