Local register office for Halifax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local register office for Halifax?

I want to get some certificates for my Jackson/Stillings line in the Halifax district.

As Jackson is such a common surname I need to provide checking points.

What is the local record office for Halifax? - I looked on the Wiki but couldn't find it. :o
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Do you want the record office or the register office, Elizabeth?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry Kite Runner - of course the Register Office.

My head is a bit woosy this morning - OH is just getting over a virus, and I can tell it's lurking around me - I'm trying to fight it off, I thought I was going down with it yesterday, but I just feel a bit run down so far. :(
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The old Halifax registers are now divided between Calderdale, Dewsbury and Huddersfield register offices. You will need to contact one of these districts to ask them which office to contact for the year and type of cert (B, M or D) that you want. (Sometimes you will find that ALL the offices deny having what you need!)

The Register Office, 4 Carlton Street, Halifax, HX1 2AH.
        Tel: 01422 353993. Fax: 01422 252370.
        E-mail: register.office@calderdale.gov.uk

The Register Office, Wellington Street, Dewsbury, WF13 1LY.
        Tel: 01924 324880. Fax: 01924 324882.
        E-mail: dewsbury.registrars@kirklees.gov.uk

The Register Office, Civic Centre, 11 High Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2PL.
        Tel: 01484 221030. Fax: 01484 221315.
        E-mail: huddersfield.registrars@kirklees.gov.uk

Good Luck!

I hope you feel better soon.... :o

Comment

Thanks for your reply Merry.

I phoned the Leeds office first, who were very helpful saying that if it were one of their BMDs they would check all the details, no probs.

They told me to contact the Calderdale (Halifax) office.

The girl wasn't so helpful : "Oh, we can't check, we're not computerised like Leeds". Then she backtracked and said that I could give a date for my great-grandmother's birth and she would check one year either side.

I think my Ellen Jackson would probably be born Dec qr 1858, but there is one other close in date. I told her I had both parents' names etc. She then grudingly said they could probably help.

The woman in the Leeds office was so helpful, but this one wasn't making life easy for me.

I feel a bit better this afternoon, Merry. Just rather tired and a slight sore throat and I'm sneezing a lot.

Just done a BIG shop in Waitrose. They sent me a £10 voucher for use this week if I spent over £100. They also sent two other vouchers for earlier weeks which we have already used. I got some lovely salmon which she said would freeze well - I'm going to do the Rick Stein recipe he showed last night (for Christmas Eve).
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Fingers crossed you get the right cert without any bother.

I recommend Beechams All In One cold treatment (in a bottle, you take 20mm when you go to bed) because even if you have a virus that can't be cured, getting a good night's sleep can make you feel better!

Comment

Thank Merry.

I will leave ordering the certificate until after Christmas - it might be safer with the post then!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
              X