Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone reassure me please?

FACT:

My 2 x GGPS are George CRAIG and Theresa MILNE. They married on 21st July,1871, Old Machar, Aberdeen, and Theresa gave her parents names as Alexander Milne and Mary McWilliam.

The only Theresa Milne I can find is in 1851, mistranscribed as THRESA:

1851, Heaton Rd Old Machar Aberdeen.
    Alexr. Milne H 40 Aberdeen Quarrier's labourer.
    Mary, wife 35, b. Chapel of Garioch Aberdeen
    Mary dau 13 b Aberdeen Flax spinner
    John son 4 b Aberdeen
    >>THRESA dau 2 b Aberdeen.

Baptisms I have found for the children of Alexander Milne, and Mary McWilliam, all baptised at the parish church, Old Machar, are as follows:

Mary Wight Milne 25 December 1839
    Isabella Nicol Milne 11 July 1842 (Nicol is a family surname)
    Alexander McWilliam Milne (mother's mn is McWiliam)17 May 1844
    John SCOTT Milne 2 June 1846
    Theresa Milne 11 July 1848
    George McWilliam Milne b 17 April 1852, bap 13 June.

In 1851, I also find the following:

Persley Houses, Old Machar
    John SCOTT H 50 b Enzie, Banffs. Granite Quarrier, Master 56 men.
    Isabella Scott, wife, 46 b Old Machar
    Peter Scott brother, 29, b Ruthven, Aberdeen, Quarrier
    >>May MCWILLIAM 16 b Chapel of Garioch Aberdeen Servant
    James Robson 15 b Durham England Servant
    >>Isabella Milne aged 7 b Old Machar, LODGER.

Am I jumping to conclusions here, because in 1861 I find:

115, Causewayend Old Machar
    Alexander Milne H 50 b Newmarker (New Machar) Aberdeen, WOOLSPINNER
    Isabella Milne, dau 18 b Old Machar, servant
    George son 8 b Old Machar
    Alexander DAU(!) 3 b Old Machar.

Have I mixed up two families? Where is Theresa, aged 12? Is it coincidence that Isabella is lodging with a Scott family, and has a brother with a middle name of Scott?

Any opinions appreciated, thankyou!

OC

OC...................as soon as I get back from the shop, I'll have a look if no-one has beaten me to it.

Remember when I was doing my Sawrey and Kirkby family in Lancs. in the 1200-1500s, you told me I have to think in a different way, well................Scotland is like that I've found.

I have had to take all family relationships with a pinch of salt. They seem to be very similar to Australian Aboriginal relationships...............if they are in my house, they are my family!!!!

They also have taken surnames from bosses or land holders, hence Gordon is a common Scotts name. Some were the workers on Gordon land.

I'll have a squizz for you.

Comment

Thanks Harry's Mum!

I am only too aware of the loose family relationship thing on this side of the family.

They are never in the same place twice, with the same wife and children, nor the same age, nor the same occupation, nor the same birthplace!

I do have most of the certs for the Scottish side of the family but the information they gave on the certs doesn't seem to ever match up with anyone on any census!

OC

Comment

Hello Harry's Mum.
        How do I go about finding baptisms. I've noticed a lot of people say they have the baptism dates for their ancestors, but I've no idea how to find them.
        Regards Joyce
        Last edited by michelin1946; 18-12-07, 00:00. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Joyce

As Harry's mum is still at the shops, lol, I will presume to answer on her behalf.

Most people start looking for baptisms on the IGI - that is, FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records.

You will find two kinds of records on there - EXTRACTED, which are taken from parish records and are as likely to be right or wrong as any other transcribed record. You still need to check the original parish record, either by ordering it to view at your nearest LDS centre, or by going to the relevant county records office.

The other kind of record on there is SUBMITTED and rarely worth the paper it is written on - these can be sheer fantasy, based on what some researcher would LIKE to have happened. Be very, very wary of those - no specific date and place and you can be pretty sure they made it up.

OC

Comment

Joyce.............I was still at the shops.

OC is correct when she says to use only extracted. I found one of mine in a submitted entry. Now I know I can be quite dimwitted at times, but even I had trouble believing that that this fellow had a son when he was 238 years old.

Having said that, I have found others that are correct. Also remember that not all records are on the IGI.
            Essex isn't just in case that's where you are looking.
            Are you looking pre 1837?

OC......I'm back on yours.

Comment

Did Theresa have asister Elizabeth born about1852?

Is that Theresa working as a servant at National Bank Court in 1871? There's an Elizabeth working with her.

I'm having doubts about the 1861, but nothing concrete.
              Does Alexander have an occupation on Theresa's marriage, do you know?

Comment

I'm not sure how common a surname Milne is in that area. Hopefully not as common as Clark - my relly Isabella Bristow (nee Clark) up in Old Machar had a servant Isabella Clark who was no relation to her. So it could just be that everyone up there who wasn't a Clark was a Milne! I'm sure you can easily check how many Milnes there are around there and figure out from that whether it is likely to be the same Isabella or not. I would think a will or two would be very helpful - have you looked on the free will search on Scotland's People to see if there are any for this family?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There seems to be quite a few Milnes, KiteRunner.

Of course, every family has one Isabella, except my Grants. They have three!!! All with the same second name as well!!

You have to have a sense of humour once you cross the border.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    You have to have a sense of humour once you cross the border.
                    pmsl Libby.

OC I'd like to reassure you but my brain is feeling fuzzy. However what you wrote looks good but I don't think that is reassuring. lol
                    Kit

Comment

Thankyou to both OC and Harry's mum, yes I was looikng in Essex and Kent.
                      Joyce

Comment

You said Nicol was a family name, on the igi there is a John Scott marriage to an Isabel Nicol 3 Aug 1837 Old Machar.

So them living with John Scott might not be coinsidence but family.
                        Last edited by fiona c; 18-12-07, 16:58.
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Sorry everyone, I have been doing Xmassy things, grrr.

I too found that 1871 where she is a servant. Cannot be sure that Elizabeth is her sister, could well be a cousin, or even not related, as you say. I am pretty sure it's MY Theresa though, as it is a most uncommon name, and never repeated in this family for some reason.

I have found her sister Isabella forward - only because she happens to be living at the same address in 1871 - I wouldn't have recognised her otherwise, lol! Her two brothers and a sister are also living with her - described as lodgers.

Found her again in 1881, her husband is a shoe manufacturer. Lose the family after that (UNLESS they have moved to Dumfries and he is now a HORSE shoe maker???).

Theresa was dead by 1891. I have only traced two children of the marriage, born 1872 and 1873. George Craig, born 1872, is possibly a lodger with his maternal grandmother in 1881, who has remarried (or not) despite the existence of a living husband.....where his father George has got to, who knows, although there is a worrying insane inmate who would fit the bill in the county asylum. I know how he feels.

Now going to trawl for deaths. What fun this side has turned out to be.

Comment

Working...
                          X