Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm missing something

not unusual I know but this might mean something

I have just finished transcribing a will I downloaded from TNA, and there is a sentence which is worrying me

“William” being first int??ned in two places over the word “Thomas” J pattern /-/ Fras Duncombe /-/ Robt Pattern

it is just before the This Will was proved bit, now there is nothing in the copy of the will that I have that shows a William over a Thomas

(BTW, just doing dinner so if I don't reply straight away, i'm not ignoring you)
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

lol Sarah

I did wonder if I explained myself properly......

Ok it is the will of Thomas Haines proved 1787. The last sentence reads

“William” being first int??lined in two places over the word “Thomas”

In the will he leaves pretty much everything to his 2 sons, Thomas and James. but no where in the copy of the will I have is there a Thomas with William written over the top. I have never come accross it before.

(Give me a second and I will paste the section in, sadly I didn't save the file when I downloaded it ages ago)
    Vikki -

Comment

here it is (hope its clear enough)

Vikki -

Comment

You are looking at a will register, rather than the original will. It sounds as if the original will possibly said William where it should have said Thomas. I think the register correctly says Thomas, but indicates the change, without actually showing it.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

And as the sentence is where it is, the witnesses presumably wanted to be absolutely sure that they were signing a will that wouldn't be rejected as having been altered. (The word is interlined)
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for that, would the original Will still exist somewhere or is it lost in the mists of time?

at least i'm not suddenly find he was called William lol
            Vikki -

Comment

The short answer appears to be no.

I've searched the catalogue for wills for 1787 in PROB (Probate!)

PROB 10 appears to be the original wills and it doesn't look as if there's more than a single item for that year.

Comment

thanks for looking and for your help.

off to go blind with another will;)
                Vikki -

Comment

It certainly reads to me as if it should be the way round that you first interpreted it, i.e. it said Thomas and was changed to William. I certainly have some copies of wills that say something similar and as far as I can remember, in every case the copy I have does actually show the correction, but I can't look through them all to see which ones it is and where the copy came from! Would you like to email it to me and I'll see if I can spot anything? If so then PM me and I'll give you my email address, but I'm hoping to get out and post my last couple of presents in a minute so it might be later.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite, thanks for the offer, But I think I know where the error was made

He left some money to the daughter of William Lightfoot and the widow of William Lightfoot, so my guess is William was called Thomas in error and then corrected

I hope you got all your pressies sorted out. Just finished wraping hubby's last few bits, thats me all done now
                    Vikki -

Comment

Well, I still have a couple to buy that don't need posting.

By the way, the word is "interlined", and it means "written between the lines".
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                      X