Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well i'm still stuck!!

Good Morning all

Some of you may remember my Charles White Basket maker mystery, well it is still a mystery but now I have his fathers details and it makes it all as clear as mud. Can anyone help

I don't know where else to look

1881 - Charles White b.1842 Southwark, Basket maker RG11; Piece: 522; Folio: 90; Page: 30
    1891 - Charles White b.1831 Lambeth, Basket Maker RG12; Piece: 344; Folio 153; Page 37
    1901 - Charles White b1842 Homerton, Basket Maker RG13; Piece: 388; Folio: 174; Page: 6

Got his marriage cert 1874

Charles Walter white - Full - Batchelor - Basket Maker - Bethnal Green - George Samuel White - Labourer
    Mary Ann Catherine Nuckley - Full - Spinster - Bethnal Green - Thomas Nuckley - Deceased

I know the 4 youngest children belong to Mary Ann Nuckley but the other 4 on 1881 census, don't seem to appear anywhere else.

Can't find charles before 1881 except a possible in 1851 (only reason I think this might be him, is grandfather is Basket maker) HO107; Piece: 1679; Folio: 122; Page: 45
    Last edited by vikki brace; 16-12-07, 12:02.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

The image for that 1881 ref has Charles as age 29, so born 1852 !!

With supposedly umpteen offspring aged 19 to 2. And don't tell OC but next door are a set of Holdens!!
    Last edited by Jools in Scarborough; 16-12-07, 12:50.

Comment

Thanks I hadn't noticed that Jules, Off to see if I can find anything in 1852

This man is so frustrating:(

I don't think the older children are his, but thats another story.
      Vikki -

Comment

Vikki - enumerators pen right through 1881 & 1891 age of mary isn't helping, but I wonder if she's older than charles & the 4 kids are hers by 1st marriage?

UPDATE - if they married 1874, perhaps their children started with Elizabeth (6 on 1881)
        Last edited by Jools in Scarborough; 16-12-07, 13:00.

Comment

Mary Ann is missing from census in 1861 & 1871, so there is a chance they are hers, but on the marriage cert she is listed as spinster, so that would mean the children are illigitamate.
          I do know that they were not White's. No birth entries and I cannot find any of the older 4 on any other census with the name White

Elizabeth, Sarah, Sophia and James are the children of Charles and Mary Ann.

Mary Ann was born in 1839 in Bethnal Green (3rd Qtr Vol 2 pg 49).
          Vikki -

Comment

I realise that this is a very old thread, but I have recently made some progress with this family using the new GRO birth indexes https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...xes_search.asp

The older children, born between 1860 and 1871, were registered as BISHOP, mother's maiden name NUCKLEY. After Charles Walter WHITE and Mary Ann Catherine NUCKLEY married in 1874, a further 4 children were registered as WHITE, mother's maiden name NUCKLEY.

I found Charles and Mary A using the name BISHOP in the 1861 census (in the same house as Mary Ann's uncle Alfred WHITTON, which is nice), and in 1871 as BISHER.

I am inclined to think the children all had the same father (who clearly had no idea how old he was). I've no idea why he changed his name.

Comment

Hi Onlooker,

Vikki hasn't been onsite for quite a time it might be better to send her a PM through our system. To do this you will need to click on her username to the left of any of her posts, from there you will see a drop down box with the PM feature.

oh and yes, the new GRO index is a fabulous tool! [helped break down one huge mystery for me!]
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-02-17, 17:35.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, I've sent a PM. The GRO index has solved two big puzzles for me, and posed several new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by onlooker View Post
                  Thanks, I've sent a PM. The GRO index has solved two big puzzles for me, and posed several new ones.
                  you are very welcome :smilee: and as one door opens another one shuts. [but the chase is good!]
                  Julie

Comment

Hi Onlooker - found the thread. I have sent you a PM
                    Thank Julie for suggesting the PM x
                    Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                      Hi Onlooker - found the thread. I have sent you a PM
                      Thank Julie for suggesting the PM x
                      No worries Vikki, nice to see you here :smilee: hope you are well?
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X