Sometimes a hunch pays off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes a hunch pays off!

Been looking for (a) the maiden name of Ellen who married Edward Whittaker, and (b) Edward himself in 1841.

Marriage on Lancsbmd for Edward Whittaker to Ellen Kenyon, so I look for Ellen Kenyon in 1841 and I find her with her mum and dad - dad is a housepainter, brilliant, so was Edward Whittaker.

I have a quick look in 1851. Oh, bother, Ellen Kenyon is still at home unmarried, can't be her.

Before I abandon ship, I decide to look at all the Ellen Kenyons in 1841 and match them up with 1851.

First one I try, daddy's a butcher. But guess who is living with them! My elusive and misspelled Edward Whittaker!

(So I still don't know who HIS daddy is, but at least I can send for the cert knowing it's the right one).

Oh, I feel all pleased with myself. Edward and Ellen have long been marked down in my tree as being unmarried. Now I can make them all respectable.

OC

OC.....................you could not possibly have anyone in your tree who is not respectable! lol

Comment

Harry's Mum - just don't go there!

OC - well done, hunches are an invaluable part of genealogy. Always worth checking who is living with whom, often they end up marrying the lodger or next door neighbour.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Definitely worth following a hunch through until you establish it can't be true.

I've had some real break-throughs that way.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I recently had a bit of a heart-warmer. Widowed mother (husband died young) and daughter with male lodger for 3 successive censuses. Then daughter and lodger marry in their 40s. Aged mother dies a few years later.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I do hope these Kenyons don't come from Accrington if you're planning to trace them back, because there are loads of them around there (I speak from bitter experience)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kate

Who knows?! Certainly not ME - all in Manchester in 1841 saying yes to born in county, all but my Ellen disappeared without a trace by 1851!!

OC

Comment

And sometimes a hunch DOESN'T pay off at all.

Have been wading through the weird and wonderful world of the Ancestry Scottish census transcriptions and after a great deal of to-ing and fro-ing, without any hunches at all,MAY have tracked down my Isabella Reid, who really ought to be married to James Reid, but there she is married to JANET somebody or other, who is a female shopkeeper, not a male farmer.

This would account for her absent husband who I found possibly in the household of his BROTHER, who is 45 years older than him. Their mutual father is somewhere in between the two ages.

Bring on the images, ancestry, please!

OC

Comment

OC......when you wake up................give me a few more details of the Scottish lot and I'll have a go while I do mine.

Can't see the problem with Isabella married to Janet, though. lol.

If they're anything like my Scottish lot they're probably sisters as well!!!

And there is nothing wrong with Scottish brothers born 45 years apart!!
                  I've got one lot who are 52 years between oldest and yongest brother. Father married three times ......yes, of course his wife had the same name each time..........Janet!!!!

AND...... each wife's first daughter was called.................JANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OC
                    You can see the images for Scottish censuses (and lots of other stuff too) on Scotlands people. It will cost £6 but if you're careful you can get a lot of images for your money.
                    Cath.

Comment

Working...
                    X