Family History on line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History on line

I have just wasted a fiver on here. I don't seem able to get specific enough results.

For example, how do you limit a result to a specific age? Searching for my missing James Holden brought up all the James Holdens and most of them could have been discarded on age grounds alone if nothing else.

Or can you not do this?

(Found my missing Edward Whittaker though, in the wet bit, and exactly where he ought to be!)

OC

OC,

I think you do this by entering dates in the "Years between" boxes on the search form, and ticking the "est births" box.
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

OC

I've found fho not as specific for searching as I'd like - I wish you could select place as well as county.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh yes, Scuda is right. I never realised that before. If you put the date range for when he was supposed to be born in and tick "est. births" and select "other census" for the search then it will only come up with a few matches. Unfortunately the one I tried has come up with birthdates which are way out of the range I gave it, though (I put in 1806-1808 and it says it has found matches whose birthdates are 1777-1778 and 1785-1786). I tried again and it did it right second time. Maybe it would work out cheaper to buy the CD of the transcription of the "wet part" of the 1851 census?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I did tick the "est birth date" thingy but could not see where to actually ENTER the birth date, limiting my searches to the 1851 which is what I am interested in.

Ah, wait, I see what you mean - if I entered the birth date and then used "other census" I could ignore all but the 1851 census.

(Kate, you are right, at this rate it would be cheaper to buy all ten? discs! I have no objection to paying for information at all, but do get cross when I am led into paying for stuff which isn't mine)

OC

Comment

Working...
          X