Do I bother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I bother?

A very distant cousin contacted me and I allowed her access to my tree.

She reciprocated, and I thought no more of it, but was surprised this week to see that one of my direct ancestors appeared in a hot match, but many others didn't.

Investigating, she has decorated her xmas tree with a few names here, a few names there. If one birth date were correct, the lady would have been 3 when she married, and dead when she bore five children.
    My poor ancestor, although details are on the IGI, is rammed into the wrong family, despite his parents names being entirely different.

When the errors are so wanton & blatant, is it worth querying them?

(Trouble is, her recent tree tidies up entries in the GRO which hadn't made sense to me before, so I don't want to go in all guns blazing!)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Phoenix

Well, I think it is certainly bothering ONCE, to see what kind of response you get.

It may be that she has "inherited" a tree and is now correcting it - or she may just be a gung-ho "researcher"(for want of a better word).

I have long been irritated by a HUGE tree, the owner of which had just compiled a sort of telephone directory of names and stuck them together. I corresponded with him once or twice to no avail.

Looking recently at his tree, I see that he has died and someone else has taken it over, and created a tree within a tree based on PROPER research, lol.

OC

Comment

Is it her GR tree you are looking at?

I last uploaded a tree to GR about two years ago.

When I viewed it, it bore no resemblence to my tree on my family history program. Peoples dates changed or vanished. Not everyone was the child of who they should have been and all sorts of other wierd and wonderful things. Also, the tree changed (dates but not relationships) each time I viewed it.

Maybe a similar thing might have happened?

It's a very good reason not to allow anyone access to my tree on GR!!

Comment

Working...
      X