OC, just one last Q!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC, just one last Q!!

I did a new thread in case you didn't go back to the other one......anyone else who knows is welcome to answer too!!! lolol

This is dad:

Hare Baronets, of Stow Hall (1818)
    Sir Thomas Hare, 1st Baronet (d. 1834)
    Sir Thomas Hare, 2nd Baronet (1807-1880) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Sir George Ralph Leigh Hare, 3rd Baronet (1866-1933)

This is his second son who The Times says inherited the baronetcy:

Hare Baronets, of Stow Hall (1818)
    Sir Thomas Hare, 1st Baronet (d. 1834)
    Sir Thomas Hare, 2nd Baronet (1807-1880)
    Sir George Ralph Leigh Hare, 3rd Baronet (1866-1933) <<<<<<<<<<<<<

And this is the first son, who we think is illegitimate (well, I do!).

Hare Baronets, of Stow Hall (1905)
    Sir Thomas Leigh Hare, 1st Baronet (1859-1941) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So, was a new title bestowed (on him) in 1905? Why would that be??

Any ideas anyone??!

Hurry up OC - I'm intrigued now and I have decs to fetch down from the loft
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Merry

I don't think I can explain this coherently, lol!

I have this VERY confusing thing in my tree, where one man is both 8th and 1st Baronet of the same damn place! And his heir becomes 9th and 2nd...

I think a new baronetcy could be created at any time if folding money changed hands - you could buy a baronetcy in other words. It seems to be a vanity thing, wanting to belong to both the old line and to create your own, new line of Baronets.

My 8th and 1st Baronet later combined the Baronetcies into yet another one and the 14th and 6th Baronet became the 1st.....

Many Baronetcies lie unclaimed and it may be that it was a belt and braces approach to ensure that YOUR Baronetcy didn't die out, by having several!

Sorry, this hasn't been much help - I do not understand the ways of the nobility!

EDIT: Your Thomas either bought the Baronetcy,in 1905, or proved to the Court of Heralds that he was entitled to it.

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 14-12-07, 15:47.

Comment

lol Tom!!

Comment

Merry, not strictly on topic, but David Ogilvy's "General Itinerary of England and Wales..." of 1804 has Stow Hall near Stow Bardolph, Norfolk as the seat of T. Hare, Esq., so presumably he became 1st Baronet between then and his death in 1807 when the 2nd Baronet succeeded. (Assuming he is the same person, of course).

Mind you, Ogilvy's work must have taken some time to compile, so he could be a bit earlier with his info than 1804 when he published.

Roger

Comment

Working...
          X