Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce

When divorce become acceptable for the ordinary people in the street?

That's always going to be a bit subjective, but...
    Probably when no-fault options became available. And that was quite recent.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't know about acceptable, but it was only available from 1858.

TNA have indexed the early ones: 1858: 1937

Detecting your browser settings

use this link, put in the surname you want and type J77 in the department or series box at the bottom, then see what comes up. I found a Skillings divorce that way.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

nb if that link doesn't work, copy & paste this address

http://www.national archives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

removing the space between national & archives
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Teeny correction, Phoenix, sorry.

Divorce has always been available, but until 1858 it was the prerogative of the rich mostly, and an individual act of parliament had to be passed for each divorce.

The church also operated "divorce" which they preferred to call annulment, or marriage dissolved. Again, mostly for the rich.

My Thomas and Mary Holden divorced in 1603, with surprisingly modern complaints about each other. She was "a great and incontinent whore" and he was lacking in the bedroom department, lol.

The divorce cost them a £400 fine, paid to the church of course.

OC

Comment

Crikey!!!!
            I think they must have added to the National Archives recently, as I had looked before and not found this.

My parents always told me that my maternal grandmother divorced her husband ( my grandfather) because of his involvement with the abduction of my aunt.

It now seems that HE divorced HER because of her adultery!!!!

Crikey!!!
            Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 14-12-07, 13:50.
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Muggins

There were still only very few reasons for divorce, even round WW2. Abducting a child was not one of them!

Have you checked she didn't enter her own divorce action?

OC

Comment

Ooh, I see that if you put a surname in that search box it also comes up with cases where the co-respondent had that name!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ooops, just found a certain direct ancestor of mine listed as co-respondent! Won't give more details on here as google will pick it up...
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Trish@Somerset View Post
                    When divorce become acceptable for the ordinary people in the street?

I don't know about acceptable to ordinary people Trish but my mother was horrified when I told her in 1979 that I was leaving my husband & coming home to England. According to her, nothing like that had ever happened in our family. Yeah right!:D
                    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Muggins

There were still only very few reasons for divorce, even round WW2. Abducting a child was not one of them!

Have you checked she didn't enter her own divorce action?

OC
                      Sorry, I was in a rush - had to go for my annual hair cut!

No I haven't checked but will - my grandfather was always made out to be the black sheep in the family - I understood also, that he lived with another woman . I never met him and until a few years ago, didn't know his name.

I suppose if my grandmother also petitioned, it would be relatively close in time (?)

Interesting that the NA summary includes the name of the co-respondent

Thanks OC
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Um, yes, well OC, I meant divorce for us plebs. The only routes for my lot pre 1858 were desertion, bigamy & murder (the last two hopefully undetected!)

Comment

Many thanks, so really only recently unless you were loaded

Comment

The church had a handy get out clause, pre civil divorce.

Desertion for seven years (including imprisonment or transportation) allowed the "innocent" spouse to remarry in church.

And someone on here I think it was, reported a divorce in the late 1800s of a very lowly man, which appears to have been funded by the CHURCH!

Muggins

Yes, I would expect petition and counter-petition to be concurrent. However, they may have agreed privately to let one divorce the other - this was highly illegal and could result in imprisonment if caught; and it was usually the MAN who allowed himself to be divorced, not the woman, as she always had far too much to lose, including her children.

I would say that certainly up to WW1, divorces were in the hundreds each year, rather than thousands.

OC

Comment

Thanks yet again OC - there is definitely only the one petition on the NA website (maybe the listing doesn't show cross-petitions (?) )

The Divorce was actually in 1928 - much earlier than I had thought

There now appear to have been three men in my grandmother's life!

Why do both sides of my family have to be so flippin' complicated!! -
                              Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 14-12-07, 16:51.
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Actually, I guess the naming of a co-respondent could just be a red herring

And sorry for having hi-jacked your thread, Trish
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  And someone on here I think it was, reported a divorce in the late 1800s of a very lowly man, which appears to have been funded by the CHURCH!
                                  I have one in 1889 of a fairly nondescript couple, in this case funded by the wronged husband's parents (mostly the mother), who also "abducted" the child of the marriage. All very sad, by 1905 the child had hardly a living relative.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Just looked on the offchance for my "cad" Villiers, and I found a 1903 divorce (not the right people) where it's the husband's petition and the co-respondent is female.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Just a side note..............I found my divorce (pre 1858) in The Times Digital Archive.

The whole juicy story was there.

Comment

Just want to point out that those entries on the National Archives J77 include divorce actions that didn't actually result in a divorce (having looked at the obituary of one of the people involved in one of them)
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X