Yet another certificate query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another certificate query

Sorry, but another - (and it's one of my Beatrice Webbs again!)

A marriage cert - it says

"Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies".. but then when it gets to the part where it says "by.......... or............", both of these are crossed out, and there is nothing written. i.e no mention of banns, licences or anything else

Any ideas please? - or could it just be a mistake?
    Joan died in July 2020.

Sorry i can't help Joan, i have just had a look through all mine and they have either Banns or Certificate, even my Indian ones have this.......what is the difference between banns and certificate please ?

Jacky xx :D
    Last edited by Tilly Mint; 13-12-07, 20:26.
    Jacky

Comment

Joan....I don't know why your cert isn't fully completed.....!

Jacky....very basically:

Banns - Marriage by Banns will only appear on a marriage cert where the ceremony took place in a C of E church (I'm talking Eng/Wales certs only). The banns are read in the parish church of the bride and groom (may therefore be two parishes or the same one) for three consecutive Sundays before the marriage. So, basically the vicar would read out who was going to marry who, giving the chance for anyone to come forward if they had a valid objection to the union. The idea was that "everyone" went to church and by reading the banns three times you would capture the notice of the entire community! Although that would not be the case today, many people are still "married by banns"..

Marriage by licence means the bride and groom will have been issued a licence to marry by the bishop (or archbishop). Basically he will have asked them if they are legally "fit" to marry and accept their word......

Marriage by certificate - this is similar to the licence, but is a civil document issued by a registrar. The marriage can take place in a reg office or in a non-conformist church.

Comment

Sorry to use your thread Joan......:D

Merry-Thankyou, my Mam married in a RC church like all my others but she is the only one with certificate written on hers all the others have banns.........am worried now..:D
        Jacky xx
        Jacky

Comment

Tilly

If your mum married in a RC church then that is a non conformist church, which is why it was certificated.

Only the C of E (in England) is a Conformist church. Everything else is non conformist.

OC

Comment

Thankyou for explaining it for me OC.........i was worried there !

Jacky xx :D
            Jacky

Comment

Working...
            X