GRO Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Question.

Does anyone know if the date of death is supplied to the GRO for a death certificate but not an area, do they charge extra for a search fee. If so how much on top of the £7 for the certificate?
    Have got date of death from headstone in local cemetery, sent to local registry office for Certificate but my cheque was returned because they couldn't find a record of the death. I can only assume the death occured elsewhere but I don't know where. Have checked BMD and cannot find a ref. from there.
    Lesley

I have never actually asked them this but would think they would charge you a fee to look for you. But without a district for them to go by would think it would be hard.
    Have you looked in all the quarters for the year the person died?
    Post it on here may be we can help find it.
    GWEN

Comment

Hi Tom, This lady is a mystery as I have mentioned her before on here. I found a headstone in local cemetery that read MARIA only lawful wife of Richard Dyer married to him 26/6/1815 and died 19/5/1868 age 67. I have been looking for a Maria Dyer but am thinking now.as it seems she was dumped by Richard, that she may have changed her name. There is a very sad epitaph on headstone that indicates a very sad and troubled life for poor Maria. Thanks for having a look for me. Any advice or tips welcome!
      Lesley

Comment

What was the district of the cemetery may be we can find her.
        GWEN

Comment

The headstone is in Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport Hants. I have just re read the inscription on the headstone which I copied down and at the end it says'Erected to their memory by an affectionate daughter and loving s (illegible) . Catherine Louisa Brown. I was thinking now, that maybe she was buried elsewhere and this is just a memorial stone Lesley

Comment

I don't know for sure what the GRO would say or what they would charge if they could do it, but my guess is that they would have to use the same index that we look at, and if there is no Maria Dyer death listed for that quarter (Jun 1868 - FreeBMD says not) then they would just say it wasn't there. It could be that the death registration didn't get through to the GRO, or that the date of death on the headstone is wrong, or that she died in another country, or as you say, her death was registered under another name. If so, then I can't see how the GRO could find it, sorry.
            (P.S. You could try the "Overseas" indexes in case she died abroad)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for reply, KiteRunner, Where would I find 'overseas' indexes then?
              Lesley

Comment

Family History . Genealogy . Ancestor . Ancestry . Family Tree . Family Relatives

I've had a look and can't see anything obvious.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for replies everyone! Have to go out for a while thanks to two dogs that are pestering me right now. Won't get any peace until they have been out! Will check back later.
                  Lesley

Comment

If you have access to the cemetery and details of the headstone, why don't you check the plot number with the cemetery records to find out who was buried in the grave, and when? This may give you some clues.

If Maria wasn't buried there (and even if she was), the tombstone may have been erected at a much later date. She would not have been able to amend any details that were incorrect.

Was she really married at 14? Not impossible, but it is unusual.

Do you have her on all the censuses? Can you find her daughter?

I have a gravestone without a burial and nary a clue to where the lady died. Even the local burial index holds no clues.

Also, if she fell on hard times, might she have been in the local workhouse? If those records survive, they might provide some useful details.

Good luck!
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The GRO charge of £7 for a certificate is for the automated service, where you supply a reference number and they send you the cert, subject to a few minor checks.

As you are asking for a search, you will have to use the non automated service and a search costs, I think, £11.50.

The few times I have used this facility it hasn't produced any results.

I had a very similar situation - headstone with date of death but could NOT find a cert to match. In the end, I emailed the cenetery and asked if they could tell me if my man was actually buried there, or just commemorated on the stone.

They replied that he was buried there - and gave me his last known address! This was miles out of the area and I immediately found his death registration. Might be worth you doing the same thing.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A
                        Are you sure that she died 19/5/1868 and not 19/8/1868? There is a death in the Sep Qtr. at Honiton (wherever that is! LOL!) 5b / 29
                        Honiton is in Devon where they make/made lace.
                        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Hi Everyone, back again,dogs walked may get some peace now!!!
                          OC I have been in touch with the cemetery but requests for research have to be made in writing and I am still waiting 2 weeks down the line. Have phoned them to chase them up and apparently my enquiry is 'in the system' Like you said, I am hoping I may get some clues from them as to where her last address was, assuming she is buried there. Fingers crossed!!

Pheonix. Didn't realise the dates given make her only 14 when she married! Maybe the dates on the headstone are incorrect!! If only I could solve this mystery I would be able to sleep at night!!!! Cannot find her at all on any of the census which makes me think she may have changed her name. Some of her daughters are also mentioned on the same headstone.
                          Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts on this.
                          Lesley

Comment

Is it possible that you mistook a 5 on the headstone for a 6? Could she have died in 1858? Or do you have her on the 1861 census? (Although looking at FreeBMD, I can't see a death reg for her in Jun 1858 either, but the age thing would work then)
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I suppose I could have misread the 5 on the headstone for a 6 but I have not found her on any census at all! Not even the 1841. In 1841 her 'only lawful husband' was with another woman!! Have yet to find a marriage cert. for him and the 'other' woman though. I think my best bet at the moment is to wait for a reply from my cemetery enquiry to see if that throws any light on this mystery.Hopefully this won't be too long now!! I will check the headstone inscription again when I get time and see if I have mistranscribed it but as you say, you still cannot find a record of her death in 1858.
                              Thanks for suggestions anyway.
                              Lesley

Comment

Working...
                              X