I've found him! - Henry Vaughan (snr)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've found him! - Henry Vaughan (snr)

Just wanted to share my small breakthrough. Many of you have helped and been driven to lying down in darken rooms because of this gentleman. :(

Anyway I have found him in the 1841 census. HO 107/386/15. I had severe doubts that it was the right person especially from the front page that I was presented with on ancestry but purely because he was 6 and had been born at his mother's old haunt I opened the image.

There he was: visitor living in the household with the head of the house called Le Marchant Thomas and his wife Mary with assorted children.

Now this is where I ask your forgiveness and please not too much glaring over the top of the piz nez at me as I have put 2+2 toghether and made the assumtion of 4 (when it could be 22)!

I can honestly say I have no idea who Le Marchant Thomas is/was or where he fits in but given that Henry's younger brother was given the name Paynton Le Marchant my 'gut instinct' says this is my Henry.

Henry's mother Lucy had died in childbirth in 1840. She didn't have a sister Mary who could've had children of this age - so it is probably from his father's side John James Vaughan vicar who in 1841 is with his other 3 children HO 107/863/16.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Glad to hear you've found him at last.
    Upton Gray, Hampshire.
    Le Marchant Thomas 35 Ind N
    Mary - 25 N
    Lucy Manus Le M 6 N
    Alice Elizabeth - 2 N
    Henry John Do 9 month Y
    Henry Vaughan 6 Y

So it could be that Le Marchant was his surname and Thomas his first name.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I found their little boy's birth reg on FreeBMD and his full name is given as Henry St John Vaughan Le Marchant Thomas. So it definitely looks as if the connection is on the Vaughan side, but I still can't figure out what the head of household's full name really was! It could really be Le Marchant Thomas. Just looks strange, doesn't it?
      KiteRunner

Comment

In 1851 Le Marchant Thomas is at Waltham St. Lawrence, Berkshire, with Mary, three children and loads of servants, and he looks pretty grand as it says "Magistrate for Berks and Southampton" (I think), so it should be possible to find info about him somewhere, which would hopefully include his wife's maiden name. She was born in London about 1813-4, according to the 1851 census, and Le Marchant was born in London about 1801-2.
        Reference is HO107; Piece: 1694; Folio: 10; Page: 12
        KiteRunner

Comment

I have to get off the computer now, but if you Google "Le Marchant Thomas" (with quotes) there are quite a lot of promising looking matches.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Well Mr Le Marchant Thomas' real name is................................................

John Le Marchant Thomas le Marchant! :D

His daughter Lucy Frances le Marchant b 1835 married Latimer Neville, 6th Lord Braybrooke, Baron of Braybrooke in 1853 and she died in 1918.

He will fit somewhere into my tree but as he is 'not blood' I'm going to park him up in the to do filing tray for a very rainy day! :D
            Bo

Comment

HI

Not sure if this helps or not but in The Times there is meniton of Le Marchant Thomas as follows

At Westminster the service was performed by The Rev J J Vaughan the Rector of Gotham and Uncle of the Bride

Lucy Frances Le Marchant marries The Hon. and Rev. Latimer Neville rector of Heydon and Little Chishill
              WendyP

Comment

It's worth looking at the CALM database to (for Hampshire):

CALM Database

I searched for "Le Marchant".
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

CALM Database

No 20 on the list:
                  Justice's certificate of qualification: Le Marchant Thomas

Looks like the chap that KiteRunner found.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks wendy and Elizabeth. The Rev J J Vaughan was the gentleman that my 3xg Aunt Lucy married - so the link is through marriage so I can happily park him and his family for the time being.

At least I know that little Henry was sent to be with his Aunt and Uncle after his mother died rather than strangers as it first appeared looking at the 'front page' of ancestry rather than the image!
                    Bo

Comment

Working...
                    X