Henry Aitkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Aitkin

Henry is my ggg grandad b abt 1806 Maryport Cumberland, i couldnt find anything about him and a few weeks ago i put in a plea for any info , Vikki, Wendy & Merry Monty all kindly gave me info about his familly which was great. but Henry appeared to be a mystery apart from a possiable death 1846 in Cockermouth, well today i found he was a master on the brig "Dorset" in Workington Cumberland so maybe thats the reason i couldnt find him he was probably allways at sea, can any one enlighten me what this job would have entailed ,and what were these ships used for ect; ive looked on the web but not found anything. thanks inanticipation again, Margaret

What years are we atlking about?

Try this:

Brig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this:

SHIPWRECKS - KENT GROUP

Comment

In the early 1800s a brig working out of Workington might have been carrying coal as outward bound cargo and Iron ore as inward bound. I'm sure there were lots of other things too. Try this website for a summary

Workington Cumbria

Anne

Comment

Have you considered the possibility of shipwreck or him dying at sea? The marine deaths index on Family History . Genealogy . Ancestor . Ancestry . Family Tree . Family Relatives records the name of the vessel the person died on.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

re Henry Aitkin

Thanks uncle John , theres a thought ,will give that a go . Margaret.

Comment

Re HENRY AITKIN

Thanks Lyn & Ann, for the web sites and your time,I will try them and see what I come up with, the years im thinking of would be between 1830 and 1846. regards Margaret.

Comment

Hi Margaret

Did you get that death cert then?
              I have an ancestor who is missing from all census (except 1861 because he was 6) as he was at sea - story goes, he came home fathered another child and then left!!!
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

it might also be worth having a look here.

The National Archives | National Register of Archives | Corporate details | Archive Details

EDIT - Also have a look through here, there may be info on other brigs (had a quick look about the dorset, but no matches)

Search*-*Cumberland and Westmorland Newspaper Transcriptions

Found a few Aitkins listed in the shipping sections with a vessel called Cocker(c1844) I suppose he worked on other vessels
                Last edited by vikki brace; 12-12-07, 09:33.
                Vikki -
                Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Re HENRY AITKIN

Thanks Vikki,its suprising what some of our ancestors got up to, i will try all the web sites and see what comes up ,thanks to you all for your time,
                  all the best Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                  X